Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indie2727 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Help logging on to windows
    Hi!

I am trying to log on to the windows xp. The windows logs on and stops at the screen where the correct user has to be chosen. When I choose owner (which is me, and that's the only use comes up anyway), it starts to log on and then loff off imediatley and go back to the same screen.

I don't know why does it show the options of selecting a user to log on as I never have anyone else using it except me. I have recently updated the computer from web and after that this problem started.

I compeleted the virus check yesterday and it was all OK.

Please help

Cheers!

Al
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2005, 08:14 PM
    Try booting to your Windows CD and logging on as Admin. Delete the Owner user and recreate it.

Sep 17, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Unfortunately, I do not have a windows cd. I had unix partition a while back and after that I cannot use the backup drive with HP computer. (As, I was told that backup is in the computer all, I have to do is press F10 when it starts to reboot. It does not seem to work at all.)

Is there any other way to log on?

CheersR!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
    You need to contact HP and get copies of the recovery Disks. When you first setup the PC you had the opportunity to create the disks. When you repartitioned you apparently killed the recovery partition.

Call 1-800 HPInvent

Sep 18, 2005, 01:09 PM
    Tried this..
    I figured out how to log on into safe mode as administrator, and still does the same. It starts to log on with a message "loading your settings" and within 2 seconds, it comes up with "saving your settings" and logs off.

I got the recovery partition and it says no error in the windows and does not do anything and ends up in the logging screen.

Cheers!
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 18, 2005, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by indie2727
    I figured out how to log on into safe mode as administrator, and still does the same. It starts to log on with a message "loading your settings" and within 2 seconds, it comes up with "saving your settings" and logs off.

I got the recovery partition and it says no error in the windows and does not do anything and ends up in the logging screen.

Cheers!
    It looks like ad/spywares have taken over some part of your OS (pretty common these days) and causing conflict at boot up time. Even if you fix the login problem, you may have to run spybot or similar program to check it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Logging off user problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have two users A and B. I am logging on as user A. I used to switch to user B.So far, so good. The problems start when I decide to go back to user A either using logging off B or switching (again) to user A. I came upon to a black screen (the power is on) and nothing is done. From the XP...

Internet site logging [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings, I am looking for a service that logs every website visited, and then sends the information to a designated email address. This is useful for parents who are aware that children today are computer savvy enough to bypass the conventional parental controls? Any suggestions? Thanks a...

Logging in the Middle Ages/Roman Times. [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any history buffs here, who know about life in Roman times? I'm curious to find out what logging practices were like during those times. What kind of equipment they may have used? Did they have cross cut saws and hand axes, like what loggers in the Northwest would have used in the...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Automatically logging on [ 1 Answers ]

How can I program my W2000 to dialup automatically when I turn on my computer

View more questions Search