Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
    What will happen if the Nation raise the minimum wage?
    What will come along when it happens?

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 12:38 PM
    The argument against raising the minimum wage is that employers will try to get by with fewer workers. Or they will outsource to less expensive workers.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Will avg income of all the others be raised too?

Sep 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    will avg income of all the others be raised too?
    No
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 10, 2007, 04:22 PM
    what will come along when it happens?

As far as employees are concerned it will effect mostly low end retail and first time job workers, usually teens in fast food establishments, unless hired by McDonald's where they are often hired-in past retirement age. A few companies will not be able to afford to pay the overhead and employees therefore resulting in eventual failed businesses. Usually these are already very poorly managed businesses in the first place. Anyway most people that are working underpaid would do better to get better paying jobs, especially larger families with one parent incomes. So in that respect it's motivation to start looking, if a persons unsure of the consequence. The only excuse I find for running a sweat shop is that if you are the business owner, self-employed, and with no staff except yourself. In other words, by far the majority of Americans wages should increase as the cost of living escalates. If I recall the stats correctly over the past nine years, twenty-one States raised the minimum wage in their respected States, instead of waiting on the Federal level to do something.

Bobby
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 11, 2007, 07:05 AM
    NSG,

There are two possibilities.

1) If the raise is small, chances are nothing will happen. There will be no significant benefit to low-wage workers, who STILL won't be able to afford the basics, and it won't affect those with higher wages at all.

2) If the raise is significant, it will result in employers hiring fewer employees and trying to get by on fewer workers. Or else, they will fire their legal employees and replace them with illegal, lower-wage workers. The result will be an increase in unemployment, a decrease in retail sales, a decrease in manufacture and wholesale trade, layoffs of more employees, a general recession, increased poverty, and lower average incomes overall.

Simply put, unless wages are driven by market forces, an increase in wages through artificial means always causes economic problems. And in a time when low-inome, sub-prime borrowers are having trouble making their house payments, the last thing we need is to compund the problem by causing those same low-income people to lose their jobs because employers can't afford to pay their salaries.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 07:22 AM
    ET,

Side question: how do I find out avg income of American Jew's?

I am wondering about that when I wa reading (see link below)
    Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And I know that Jews have the highest avg income of white-non hispanic, but not sure the exact avg.

Do you know the data?

Thanks,

Sep 11, 2007, 07:30 AM
    So that anyone interested can be informed of the current minimum wages being discussed, United States, click on the following link:

DOL WHD: Minimum Wage Laws in the States

Bobby

Sep 11, 2007, 07:44 AM
    ET,

side question: how do I find out avg income of American Jew's?

and I know that Jews have the highest avg income of white-non hispanic, but not sure the exact avg.

Do you know the data?

Thanks,
    Hi NSG-

Last stats I read was from the mid-nineties to late nineties where the avg Jewish family (U.S.) was in the lower to mid 5 figure range. Maybe Elliot can find something more updated. I'll warn you to be cautious with any Jewish stats. We have a rather large Jewish community of holocaust survivors living in the Los Angeles area, about 10,000 people, many hovering around the poverty standard. The number average goes up significantly only because of the top end wealthier within the minority.

Bobby
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I don't think this site has any information about the salaries of American Jews in particular, but it does have a lot of good information about salary by industry, occupation, and location, if you're interested in any of that. It's not directly related to the question, but it might help :)

Salary.com Job salaries- Performance reviews- Compensation software
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 11, 2007, 08:22 AM
    ET,

side question: how do I find out avg income of American Jew's?

and I know that Jews have the highest avg income of white-non hispanic, but not sure the exact avg.

Do you know the data?

Thanks,
    That data is not available. First of all, census questionnaires do not list "Jewish" as an ethnic group, and therefore the census data does not correlate "Jewish incomes" as compared to other ethnic groups. And I have not seen an income breakdown by religious group in the census data I have viewed. I have certainly never seen a breakdown of "jewish incomes".

And I am not so sure that Jews have the highest incomes of non-hispanic whites either. I think that's a misconception without basis in the facts. It may be true, but there is currently no data to back it up, and I'm not really sure that it is true at all.

The best place for raw data on income levels, broken down by race, ethnicity, job title, state, etc. is fom the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's the source for most of my raw data on income, total compensation, poverty and employment levels.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Hello nice girl:

Nothing will happen. Most people, even those who work at McDonalds, get paid more than minimum wage. I'll probably make the Democrats feel good, though, but not much else.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 10:05 AM
    I agree with excon

When the economy is good market forces dictate that the worker get better pay. Unemployment is close to historic lows so the workers can shop their services to the employer willing to give them the best deal. The minimum wage at the national level as a standard has always lagged behind reality .
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    That data is not available. First of all, census questionnaires do not list "Jewish" as an ethnic group, and therefore the census data does not correlate "Jewish incomes" as compared to other ethnic groups. And I have not seen an income breakdown by religious group in the census data I have viewed. I have certainly never seen a breakdown of "jewish incomes".

And I am not so sure that Jews have the highest incomes of non-hispanic whites either. I think that's a misconception without basis in the facts. It may be true, but there is currently no data to back it up, and I'm not really sure that it is true at all.

The best place for raw data on income levels, broken down by race, ethnicity, job title, state, etc. is fom the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's the source for most of my raw data on income, total compensation, poverty and employment levels.

Elliot

White Americans have the second highest median household income and personal income levels in the nation. The median income per household member was also the highest, since white Americans had the smallest households of any racial demographic in the nation. In 2006, the median individual income of a white American age 25 or older was $33,030, with those who were full-time employed between ages 25 and 64 earning $34,432. Since 42% of all households had two income earners, the median household income was considerably higher than the median personal income, which was $48,554 in 2005. Among whites, Jewish Americans rank first in household income, personal income and educational attainment among white Americans. In 2005, non-Hispanic white households had a median household income of $48,977, 10.3% above the national median of $44,389. American-born Cuban Americans (half of the Cuban American populace) almost all classify as white, and have a higher median income and educational attainment level than non-Hispanic whites.[25]
    White American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That's what leads my question to you.

And I am checking out the Bureau of Labor Statistics... thank you.:)

Sep 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
    I went through that Wiki you linked to. Interestingly, while it cites several sources for other statisitcs there is no cite for that one.

Sep 11, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Stats according to the NJPS 2000-2001

American Jewry Today - Jewish Population Statistics - 2000 NJPS National Jewish Population Survey

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I went thru that Wiki you linked to. Interestingly, while it cites several sources for other statisitcs there is no cite for that one.
    That's why I am asking for the official stats... :)
    I doubt the data and information are all correct on there.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Hello again, spring girl:

Let's do some extrapolatin. Of the 6 guys you've been talking with here, 4 are Jewish and very rich (well 3 of 'em are). I guess the rumor is true: Jews run the banks.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, spring girl:

Let's do some extrapolatin. Of the 6 guys you've been talking with here, 4 are Jewish and very rich (well 3 of 'em are). I guess the rumor is true: Jews run the banks.

excon
    :confused: ET is one... who else? How do you know that?
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 07:22 AM
    tomder55 agrees: so is Excon and Bobby . And I am an honorary member.
    No way, Excon is a Democrate!

Tomder55, you look very very tanned;) U might be one? Since you are an honorary member, do you get flying miles?:D

(Edited) I almost think Excon is Black... :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minimum withdrawal at 70.5 [ 3 Answers ]

I am 64 and retired (as is my wife) and living on our social security plus some support from investments. We have not taken anything out of my 401K yet and wondering weather we should to avoid being in a higher tax bracket if we wait until 70.5 when the minimum has to be taken out. Is the minimum...

Solve Interval Nation [ 5 Answers ]

3x<=6x-9/3<+10 The question My answer 3x<=2x-9<=10 3x<=2x-9 or 2x-9<=10 3x+9<=2 9<=2x-3

Minimum wage [ 1 Answers ]

The law says that certain seasonal employees are not covered by minimum wage but no onle lists what seasonal employment means. I work part-time(less than 40hrs/wk for a golf course as a ranger/cart attendant, are they required to pay me minimum wage since I am generally only employed March through...

View more questions Search