Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2005, 01:07 PM
    Installing retro fit windows
    I installed our first window.Every thing went OK,it took a while but it was our first one.We will be installing more but first I need to do the trim around this first one first.
    Does anyone have any tips? I did not realize how bowed out the sides of the window hole is on the interior side until I got the window in.
    I am not sure what would be the easiest way to go about installing the moulding.
    I am thinking about getting 2x4's or what ever size it will take and stand them in there and line them up with the vinyl window I put in and I will
    have to shim them just like the window and have the wood come out to the same level as the wall and then but the trim up to it.I hope I am explaining
    this good.
    I need some help,Would that be about the best way :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
    I don't quite understand. Usually the hole for the window is about a half to an inch bigger than the window. As long as the window is securely fastened in, seal it up, and careful fill the gap with insulation. Seal it good on the inside too. One of the advantages of doing work like that yourself, is that you can attend to the details that can make a big difference.
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 11:26 AM
    I think I might know where you're going. Just to be sure- when you say "bowing window frame", do you mean that the frame bends inward (or outward) of the window unit opening. Or do you mean bowing inward (or outward) of the room? I think you mean the latter, and that the frame is no longer flush with the plane of the wall it rests in. is this correct?

If so, and the frame is bowing into the room a little, I would plane it down or sand it before putting the trim on. Doing so will make the job more professional looking and easier.

Good luck,

Louie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Are you wanting to say fill a half inch gap with half inch long 2 x 4, fine, perhaps over kill. If you are driving screws or nails through the window frame into the rough opening, you must shim next to the nail to keep from bowing the window out.

Text here can be like the blind men describing the elephant.
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 01:09 PM
    Good point labman,

Hey doug, are the window frames bowed because of you not supporting the replacemnt unit with shims prior to attachment. Or were the frames already shot when you put in the new units and you are just now realizing it (I think the latter might be the case, because if the frames were shot, the windows were too and people tend to replace shot windows with replacement windows, which is much easier than new construction windows). Either way, one requires a reinstall (no biggie) and the other requires some touch up carpentry, like what I referred to in my previous post.

Hey labman, chemist eh? I'm in the process of finishing up my biochem undergrad (UWM). Oh what fun... I've had enough chemistry for a lifetime! I'll be switching to the business school for my masters...

Louie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Windows XP from MS-DOS... [ 9 Answers ]

Im trying to install XP, this PC is totally DOS no any windows installed so no shortcut installation to make... Here: Everything are all set partition and HD formated... A:\>smartdrv (enter) A:\>e: (enter) E:\>cd I386 (enter) E:\I386>winnt (enter) Then when the windows files is...

Retro child support [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was sue for child support for a child that her mother told me wasn't mine. The kid is 14 yrs old and live in killeen Texas I live in Nevada. We took blood test and she is mine. However she grew up with another man and his family who she has always known as her father. Her and I both...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error when installing windows xp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am Pradeep. I have a celeron 1.1 with mercury MB. I was running windowsxp for the past 6 months. Recently when I tried to re-install using bootable windowsxp cd the setup stopped saying that the : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with error code: STOP: 0X000000ED(0X812FBA5B, 0XC0000010,...

Installing Windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates? Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled? Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work? Thanks.

Retro fitting K&N FIPK Kits [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the stock air filter unit on my 94 dodge spirit, and perhaps put a K&N kit in it. Although K&N does not make a kit for my car, not surprisingly, I have seen some set ups that look like they would fit well under my hood. The air filter is a good size, and the pipe's bend could be...

View more questions Search