Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jopao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 11:57 PM
    I'm with broadband and want to go back with just regular phones
    I have cable phone right now and my number is a cable number how can I get the same number and just have regular phoneline that is plugged on the jacks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2005, 02:15 AM
    Most phone service providers offer you the option of changing service and keeping the same number. You'll just have to phone your current provider, cancel your contract then ring up a regular phone service and sign up with them.

On a side note, what does your cable phone use if not a normal socket?! My phone line is provided by a cable company and it's the same plugs etc. as any other phone service.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Regular Phone Service
    Hi,
    Call the phone company of your choice, talk with a Customer Service Rep. Tell them your phone number, and ask if you can start service with them, using the same phone number.
    It's the only way you are going to find out for sure, if you can keep the same phone number.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    Most phone service providers offer you the option of changing service and keeping the same number. You'll just have to phone your current provider, cancel your contract then ring up a regular phone service and sign up with them.

On a side note, what does your cable phone use if not a normal socket?!?!? My phone line is provided by a cable company and it's the same plugs etc. as any other phone service.
    LT,
    I use Vonage with my cable service. They provide a device that accepts a coax cable using an F connector. Also on the device are 2 RJ45 ethernet in/out ports and 2 RJ11 jacks. My phone plugs into one of the Rj11s jacks and my computer modem (I use it for faxing) goes into the other.

Unless your home is wired for it, that's the way most cable (VoIP) services work.

P.S. I see Fred still is echoing other people's answers. Two and half hours later he says the same thing you did.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Like the others said, call a phone company. If you don't like their answers, call another one. Unlike me, most people have options. As long as my Grace Fergerson Storm Door, Airline, and Phone Company sticks to their territory, no other phone company can offer me service. SBC recently sent me a letter asking me to come back. I never had SBC service, and doubt they can really provide it to me. Certainly not worth what it would cost over Vonage.

I use Vonage. I have all my old phones plugged into their old jacks. Vonage does not recommend it, but I connected my ATA into the house wires. I have coax to the cable modem, then ether net to a router and then the computers and ATA. From the ATA, I have an ordinary phone cable running to the jack originally installed for my dial up modem. It connects to the other telephone house wire in a box outside where the telephone network interface used to be. The box is a waterproof electrical box from the hardware store. The phone wires come out of the house in a drip loop and go in the bottom of the box, just as they did with the telephone interface. Inside, the red and green wires are wire nutted together.

Ordinarily I am no Fred fan, but I see no harm in a second person confirming an answer and adding details. In this case, Fred brought up the important point of talking to an alternative first. My disgust with all this fussing is well known.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Ordinarily I am no Fred fan, but I see no harm in a second person confirming an answer and adding details. In this case, Fred brought up the important point of talking to an alternative first. My disgust with all this fussing is well known.
    Is anyone a Fred fan except the IDs he creates as cheerleaders? :(

When a question calls for an opinion, there is no problem in adding confirmation to reinforce the opinion. Nor is there a problem with adding detail or other info. In such cases, though, its better to say something like; I agree with so and so, but wanted to add...
    But I don't see that in this case. LT said to call a phone company to switch service, Fred said the same thing. I don't see any substantive difference. No one is going to cancel phone service until they have a replacement set up.

Fred has bought this reaction on himself by continuing a practice that is abhorrent and objected to by many. He's made matters worse by using phony IDs, spreading lies, insults and harassment because of valid criticisms.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regular period? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for all who go to this site I had my last periods on July 30 and my periods are not due until 28 to 30 me and hubby has been trying to get a baby and finally this month I got bleeding at 24 which was very different from the usual kind of periods and a mild discomfort I just wanted...

Regular h1b.. last year F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I have filed 1040NR-EZ with the 8843 form last year as I did not pass the presence test. But this year I am a Resident for the tax purposes. SO I will be filling 1040 forms. I have 2 questions 1) I wanted to know are there any deductions(standard+Itemized) that I can claim? I am...

Cell Phones [ 1 Answers ]

How can you identify who a phone number belongs to if it is listed to a cell phone? Is there a way to ID the caller or trace who the number is assigned to? I receive calls from numbers that I do not know and I have tried a reverse look-up with programs such as "Anywho" with no luck. Is anyone...

View more questions Search