Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stnick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Screw-on spout removal
    The diverter on our tub is failing. It diverts about 2/3 of the water so I want to
    Change the spout. It is a screw on type with copper supply line. As I tried to
    Unscrew the spout the copper supply line began to twist. I could see the pipe
    Deform. I stopped not wanting to break off the copper supply line in the wall.

There was no allen wrench screw to loosen. And the supply line is copper.

What am I missing?

Stnick
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
    It's probably type M and not type L which has a thicker wall. Throughout the years it eroded from the inside.

If it's bending, it likely has to be replaced. Cut, sweat new fittings and protecting combustible materials with pads designed for this purpose. Use teflon tape to install the new diverter.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I really doubt you have to go to all that if you quit before damaging it much. I would start heating it an quenching it to break up the crystals of corrosion. If you don't have a torch, try hammering on it. If you can get at the joint, a little penetrating oil may help. I like spray silicone. The hammering will break up the crystals of oxide locking it in place. Spray, hammer, twist, curse, spray...

If you think it is badly damaged, then it will require replacing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing/screw removal mishap [ 2 Answers ]

Plumbing Problem - had dripping faucet in bathtub. We were attempting to remove the screw that holds the handle in place, but srew was defective, so we drilled into it, reversed the drill to get the bit out, then used a screw extractor to remove the screw. The screw extractor broke off! (I DO...

Did I screw Up our friendship? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, first off I just want to say that I'm really happy that there is a website here that people can ask for advice.. it gives people a different look at things.. whether they take your advice or not.. its good to here someone's opinion.. On with me story I go... My friends...

Ok its new... its fun... I can't screw this up. [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Im having a great time with a girl the past few days, and we both have similar interest in each other. Now, what I need to know is. A) How do you slowly show a girl that you want to be more serious without giving her I'm the big wuss and folding for her every need? And B) What is the...

Screw driver [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electrition's screw driver, hand powered, 7 two sided hexigonal bits, (making 14 tips) that I would like to get more of. The bits rest in the end that pulls out and will seat up in the interior of the handle. When you pull the end in or out, it sounds almost hydrolic. The butt of the...

View more questions Search