Sep 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Why?
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Why not ?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
    So I guess if you are a deist, you reject GodAlmighty and the Bible as being relevant?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
    I look at most of the religious post. I have never seen anyone of the Deist faith on here. But you never know some may come along.

Sep 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    So I guess if you are a deist, you reject GodAlmighty and the Bible as being relevant?
    I reject all so-called divinely inspired holy books, & some deists believe God is almighty & others don't. All I know is that God was powerful & wise enough to create the universe. Don't know if that qualifies as omnipotence or not.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Maybe. How can I tell if I am one?

Sep 9, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Maybe. How can I tell if I am one?
    If you believe that God created the universe but doesn't interact with it; if you reject holy books as inspired; if you reject the divinity of jesus, or the doctrine of the trinity, then you are probably a deist. There, are, however, some deists who believe that God may have interacted with the world at certain key points, such as the evolution of man. There are also christian deists, but they reject jesus' divinity, & look upon him as merely a great religious reformer & teacher. Christian deists reject the miraculous accounts of the bible, but they live by it's moral principles.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 12:50 AM
    As you are asking about deists,
    I am curious to know what your beliefs are, not what other deists believe,but your personal belief...

Thanks
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    If you believe that God created the universe but doesn't interact with it; if you reject holy books as inspired; if you reject the divinity of jesus, or the doctrine of the trinity, then you are probably a deist.
    OK, probably not, then. I don't believe in belief, and I reject rejection.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Raises hand!!

P.S. to Bushg, you missed it, I have indicated I am a Deist on more than one occasion. Oh and deism isn't a "faith".

Basically a deist believes that some intelligent force created the universe and the physical laws that it operates under. Then that intelligence basically said go play. That intelligence does not interfere nor interact with its creations, though it may monitor them (probably for amusement).

Nor do I believe we are the only experiment created by this intelligence.

I believe this because the intracacy of the design of our universe, how things interact etc, would seem to require some intelligence of design. But I reject the idea of that intelligence looking at its creations as playthings to manipulate, try to get back on the right track or not. I reject the idea that such an intelligence would want to be prayed to and/or worshipped.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Raises hand!!!

P.S. to Bushg, you missed it, I have indicated I am a Deist on more than one occasion. Oh and deism isn't a "faith".

Basically a deist believes that some intelligent force created the universe and the physical laws that it operates under. Then that intelligence basically said go play. That intelligence does not interfere nor interact with its creations, though it may monitor them (probably for amusement).

Nor do I believe we are the only experiment created by this intelligence.

I believe this because the intracacy of the design of our universe, how things interact etc, would seem to require some intelligence of design. But I reject the idea of that intelligence looking at its creations as playthings to manipulate, try to get back on the right track or not. I reject the idea that such an intelligence would want to be prayed to and/or worshipped.
    As you are a deist ScottG,
    I wonder how you view death and the afterlife?

Also what if everything that is going to occur or have occurred was already known to God? Does this make a difference ?Is that what you believe?or Not?

Sep 10, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I wonder how you view death and the afterlife?
    I don't!

Also what if everything that is going to occur or have occurred was already known to God? Does this make a difference ?Is that what you believe?or Not?
    No, that's not what I believe. I believe in free will. I believe that this intelligence set up a framework that controls the physical universe. But that every form of life has choices they can make within that framework.

For example, even a plant has choices as to where its roots will go. These choices may not be conscious, but there are choices nonetheless.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Scott In desim is there an afterlife?

Sep 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Deism is not a religion. It's a belief in how the world was created. There is nothing to worship, no rules to live by, no dogma to practice. Deism differs from atheism in that deists believe there was an intelligence that created the universe. Whether that intelligence still exists or not, is up to the individual. But a deist does not believe that the intelligence is doing anything to influence what happens. Just that a set of physical laws like gravity, were created with the universe and we have to live according to them.

Sep 10, 2007, 09:27 AM
    As you are asking about deists,
    I am curious to know what your beliefs are, not what other deists believe,but your personal belief....

Thanks
    I believe God created the universe, & that was his one & only miracle. I don't believe God interacts with the world, I don't believe any of the world's holy books are divinely inspired, I don't believe in the miracles or resurrection of jesus, & I believe if God cares about anything, it's how well we treat each other, & not what we particularly believe.

Sep 10, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't!

No, that's not what I believe. I believe in free will. I believe that this intelligence set up a framework that controls the physical universe. But that every form of life has choices they can make within that framework.

For example, even a plant has choices as to where its roots will go. These choices may not be conscious, but there are choices nonetheless.
    Some deists believe in an afterlife & some don't.

Sep 10, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Scott In desim is there an afterlife?
    I know the question was not to me, but let me answer also. Some deists believe in life after death, & some don't. I, personally, don't know if there is an afterlife or not. Antony Flew is a deist who doesn't believe in an afterlife.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Does the "creator" necessarily mean God or are we talking about any type of creator, possibly even another race? I mean are you saying that something, we don't know what, created us, or is it always just "god".. Just curious, I have been struggling to find my following for years, and have settled in the Unitarian universalist realm, but am curious about deism... I have certain ideas on things, and have trouble fitting them in any place.

Sep 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    does the "creator" necessarily mean God or are we talking about any type of creator, possibly even another race? I mean are you saying that something, we dont know what, created us, or is it always just "god".. Just curious, I have been struggling to find my following for years, and have settled in the Unitarian universalist realm, but am curious about deism...I have certain ideas on things, and have trouble fitting them in any place.
    I can't speak for the OP, but I've been careful to refer to an "intelligence" or "intelligent force". I do not refer to this intelligence as God or a God (though deist comes form deity). Just an intelligence and power beyond our comprehension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search