Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 12, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Labman makes a good point. What a colossal coincidence that the other dog that just 'happened' to show up in her yard also just 'happened' to be a schnauzer! What a lucky gal!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if rather than an ''accident'', it was an intentional evasion of a stud fee. Hummmmmmmmm, How much checking went into checking the male for possiblegenetic defects and assuring genetic diversity?
    Funny that is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the first couple of pages of this. It is awfully convienent that things "just happened"!
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Sep 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Wow labman, that is truly harsh and you do not need to get on my case for my dog's accidental pregnancy. We were not planning on breeding our dog, and we did not know this dog was outside, that's truly truly horrible you would accuse me of doing that to my dog. I did not want her to get pregnant, for she was only 7 months old! I planned to breed her at two years old, this was not on purpose! Sarah1989, thanks for defending me when I didn't see what people were writing, you're a doll :)
    Anyway, we live out in the country, so leash laws really don't matter there, as there's really no one else around, and my dog would never run away. I was outside with her, she ran to the back of the house, so what? No one was around, I wasn't even worried because there's really no other dogs around, but somehow, another shnauzer must have smelled her or something, and ended up in our backyard! Two of the puppies are already called for, and these dogs are going to a good home, as their parents are pedigreed and papered. They're not mutts. So please stop harassing me and go nag someone who cares, or who actually deserves to be nagged. Have a lovely day labman. :)
    1 animal lover 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    Hi!
    My shnauzer dog was in heat a couple months ago, and was outside when another shnauzer just showed up in our yard and they started well, going at it haha. Meanwhile, she's pregnant, and today is her 62nd day . Technically, she should give birth tomorrow, but I won't be home all day. She's been scratching things like blankets and the carpet, and I really want her to have the puppies today so I'm with her! Does anyone know a sure sign that a dog's in labor? Thanks so much!!
    Hi.. my Golden Retreiver just had her litter yeterda.Look out for heavy panting,restlessness,maybe digging.You'll see a greeny-blacky discharge come out of her,when that comes well you're dogs going to be a mum any time. HOPE THAT HELPS!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 animal lover 1
    hi..my Golden Retreiver just had her litter yeterda.Look out for heavy panting,restlessness,maybe digging.You'll see a greeny-blacky discharge come out of her,when that comes well you're dogs gonna be a mum any time. HOPE THAT HELPS!
    Ummm, did you read the whole post? It already happened.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    anyway, we live out in the country, so leash laws really don't matter there, as there's really no one else around, and my dog would never run away. Two of the puppies are already called for, and these dogs are going to a good home, as their parents are pedigreed and papered. They're not mutts.
    I live out in the country too, my closest neighbor is a quarter of a mile away, and there are still leash laws. Take a look at your local newpaper's classifieds for lost & found pets. Take a look at your regional shelters & rescues and see how many dogs are there because they were found wandering around.

Thanks for your concern about the mutts. I will remember it next time I have to help out with euthanizing one. I will definitely remember it next time I have to put down a pure bred schnauzer.

By the way, this is the post that Katie was referring to earlier. It is worth reading. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/h...ve-128208.html
    sarah1989 Posts: 154, Reputation: 0

Sep 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Give it up already we already know what you all think and I don't really care.
    Like it's the law to have your dog on a leash at your own house.
    I don't see how people can be so rude towards other people.

Sep 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Ok, I'm almost shaking after what you guys are saying about me. Do you want to bring me to tears? I'm someone who loves my two dogs, and one being a mutt, I have nothing against that. I'm not someone who would do that to make a quick buck. I did not want puppies, and for you to say that I was using the dog for a free stud, and that I was irresponsible, is like saying I'm a bad mother, and how dare you. I am not irresponsible, and I am not a person who cheats people for money. It's as simple as this: I let my dog out, she went in the backyard where I couldn't see her, I followed her, I see her tied with another dog, I freak out, and realize there's nothing I can do but let them continue their thing. You people seem to get off by making me feel as bad as possible. Obviously It's an unbelievable coincidence that it was a schnauzer, (not that they're bad), but my family likes to see it as my mother (who recently passed away) having a good sense of humor. The puppies were unexpected, but you know what, it happened. I'm a good dog owner. None of these dogs are going to shelters, actually one is already called for and more are interested. So if you think I'm just getting rid of these dogs, NO WAY, I'm giving one to the stud owner, who apologized after her dog escaped while she was watching it for her daughter, and the rest will be sold, and I'm donating the money to our local humane society. So stop judging me, I'm doing the right thing here, I could just take them to a shelter and let them be euthanized. BUT THAT'S NOT WHO I AM PEOPLE, so stop acting like vultures and just understand the situation.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
    I also forgot to mention, the reason my dog was not spayed is because I was planning on breeding her when she was older than two! So I'm not irresponsible, and yes the puppies are getting all they're shots and vet checkups. Sheesh people.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
    :) well said these people have no right to say what they have been saying...
    It would be a different story all together if it had of been them...
    Good luck with the puppies :)
    Xx

Sep 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Thank you so much sarah. You truly are an angel for being so nice! You don't find many people like you these days, thanks for sticking up for me! I wish you the best of luck! :)

Sep 12, 2007, 08:19 PM
    That's okay like I said any time :)
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:12 AM
    shoegal disagrees: I love mutts, I have one, nothing against them, but more people are willing to buy purebreads, hence, them being sold and not going to shelters.

I am sorry shoegal but your statement is not true. I work with a Daschunds rescue group whose sole reason for being in operation is stop the euthination of pure breed doxies who are placed into shelters. A close friend of mine just adopted a pure breed yellow lab (Sophie) from a shelter near my hometown. If she had not done that Sophie would have eventually been put to sleep. There are many many pure breed dogs that are killed every day because there is no family to love them. Unfortunately there are a lot of dogs (purebreed or mix breed) that need love, and not enough families to give it.

I would be concerned about the mother's health in this case. She is still a puppy herself.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Well, said Tuscany. Have to spread it.

Shoegal & Sarah, you are both living in a naïve and selfish bubble. Where I live most of the dogs found at the few rescues in my area are purebreds. I have seen some very expensive dogs just dumped. People will purchase dogs from backyard breeders like you, and from pet stores. They love puppies & kittens. How can you not? Then due to either lack of training, the inconvenience, the responsibility, and a myriad of other reasons, when a puppy grows into an adult dog, they will dump them. I have met people who just love puppies & kittens and will dumping them when they aren't cute any more so they can buy a new puppy or kitten! It is a sickness. Sometimes, people open their car doors and leave a dog in someone else's yard, or they tie them to a fence at one of the rescues in the middle of the night, or they just let them wander out of their yard and don't bother looking for them. There are all sorts of devious ways to get rid of a dog they no longer want. Those dogs that are found alive are picked up by someone like me. Found ads are run in the local newspapers. 9 times out of 10, there are no responses. CAN YOU BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE PEOPLE WHO YOU SELL YOUR PUPPIES TO WILL KEEP THEM THEIR ENTIRE LIVES AND GIVE THEM THE PROPER CARE? Unless you see those dogs on a regular basis, you cannot be certain. AND, that is the crux of what I am trying to say to you here. Your puppies are not immune to being one of those purebreds that are found in shelters.

I had no intention of responding to your initial question due to my personal beliefs. But due to the two of you defending this, I couldn't keep quiet. You are both very naive. You think that you aren't adding to the problem. That is what all irresponsible breeders say. We have a major crisis in this country and you are turning a blind eye to it. If you purchased your dog from a pet shop or somewhere in the lineage of your dog the parentage was purchased in this way, and it most likely was, the original dog was a reject from a breeder or a product of a puppy mill. Start doing some research. Both of those sources perpetuate the genetic problems that have grown to be associated with purebreds in this country. Just because you have "papers" does not mean your dog is a high quality dog. Responsible breeders DO NOT allow accidental breedings to occur. They are planned. Instead of breaking up the two dogs that were mating, you allowed it to continue. As Katieperez stated, responsible breeding is a science. If you don't believe it, look at the AKC guidelines regarding breeding. They would call you irresponsible for allowing a puppy to be bred. American Kennel Club - Responsible Breeding Steps

Stop spending time crying and defending yourself and visit your local shelters. See what they are burdened with, especially during the summer months. Start really doing some research and see what really is going on.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I think we have all had our say on this. Those of us desperately trying to cope with the results of irresponsible breeding need to put our time to better use. I would rather not see any more excuses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tell if my dog is pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: how do I know if my losa opso is pregnant but has not been I heat in a wile she is getting fat and smells rely bad:confused:

How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 miniature daschunds, my female was on heat and finished about 3wks ago now. We were trying to mate them, but every time I tried to help she would go shy and just want me. They were together all other times through her heat. So we don't know if he got to her or not it was both their...

Pregnant dog [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell when my daschund is pregnant? For the last week she has been whining and seems to be uncomfortable but she doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of weight??

Help with a pregnant female dog [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the behaviour of a pregnant female dog, How they would act towards other dogs/females,

I think the stray dog is pregnant,how do I tell? [ 4 Answers ]

there has been a stray lab outside my house for the past 2 days, and we have tried feeding it but it won't eat, it only drinks a little water every now and then. i'm thinking that it is pregnant, but i can't tell. can someone help me?? also, i want to let it stay in our yard, but i already have...

View more questions Search