Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northerngentleman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Statue of limitation credit card debt in ontario
    My daughter has an outstanding credit card debt from the late '90's. She received a letter from a lawyer threating her with court action. She is on a disability pension. Can she be sued/garnisheed or is this a scare tactic from a collection agency?
    Tks for your input
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
    For her, the SOL would be 6 years from when she last went into default (last missed a payment, etc).

The new SOL of 2 years applies to all debt after Jan. 1, 2004

Assuming the last time she made a payment on this card was in the 1990s then the SOL has clearly expired and they are trying to scare her into paying or to get her to agree to make some payments so the SOL clock can start all over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue on a credit card Is it open account or written agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I being sued over an old credit card debt. Credit cards are under open account under the statue of limitation. In my state the statue is 4 years. The collection agency is trying to sue under written agreement which is 5 years. Which they file the 9 an the statue would have been up ten days later....

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit agency refuses to verify debt, but demands payment (Ontario) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Just as a backgrounder, I have placed my original post in quotes at the bottom. The one thing I should add is that we contacted the original alleged creditor (GMAC), who was reasonably nice, but told us that they no longer held the debt and couldn't provide us with any verification. ...

Statute of limitation on credit card debts [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitation in ontario canada on dept. store credit card debts? Tks northerngentleman

Ontario Credit Card SOL [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit card back in 1996. I had a lot of problems then and was even homeless for close to a year. I have just been contacted for the first time about this credit card. I have been living at the same address for 9 years and never been contacted about this debt. I would like to know if there...

View more questions Search