Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    netter143 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
    How to enforce discipline
    Good morning
    I am a elem spec ed teacher 20 plus years. I have had self contained but found it difficult as I am not a disciplinarian or a battle axe... I feel too much for the kids and never want to belittle them or whatever. I know giving them consequences only helps them, but still I struggle with this. The past 10 years or so I have been an inclusion teacher which has been ideal. I work with teachers and help those who need more help and even pull out in small amounts of time... every day was diff and I was so helpful to all my teachers and kids and parents... then this year our CSE director mixed the bag and put me in the 6th grade self contained... for the first time I said NO as I am not the teacher for this environent. There has been a special ed teacher who has done this for years and she has control.. maybe not as much compassion as I have but the kids learned. IN just the past 3 days my room is dominated by one boy who thrives on negative behavior. All the kids feed into him as they do not know how to ignore it... so ALL DAY LONG I deal with his behaviors. I have staff coming in to help and a behavior contract will be made... but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    geographymatt Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I don't know what you have tried already but you could:

- Find out this boy's learning style - is he a visual, auditory, kineasthetic or digital learner. You may find that your teaching style is not fully accessible to him and hence he thrives on bad behaviour through lack of interest and understanding.

- See if you can find out what genuinely interests him (perhaps descretely through a class questionnaire) and try to build this into your lesson somehow. This should get his attention and earn you a little more respect from him.

- meet and greet at the door if you don't already with a positive (and fresh) start to the lesson which should help for you to teach at a more personal level.

Well hopefully that might help. Give those a try and if they don't work ask me and I'll give you a few more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discipline [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old daughter who we are having a hard time with. She is a talker. Not just any kind of talker, but the kind that NEVER stops. It interferes in everything she does. Other kids are turned off by her because she never stops. She has something to say ALL of the time and about...

Appropriate discipline for out of control 18 year old [ 11 Answers ]

My son is 18, has Aspergers/a developmental delay disorder. Simply put he is chronologically 18, not emotionally. Do to my question, I felt it appropriate to give this information. He is in college, only child left in home with a mom and dad, our home has only a few rules: 1) No drug usage, 2)...

How to enforce father to see his child [ 11 Answers ]

I Have A Problem, My Friend Came To For Help But Didn't Hav E Answer For Because I Never Been In That Kind Of Situation And She Ask How Do You Enforce A Father Who Is On Child Support To Come See His Child No W He Is Paying On Time But Can The Court Do Anything About It Oh Yeah And They Weren't...

Education discipline appeal [ 4 Answers ]

A student in our school anonymously gave the principal a photocopy of a yearbook page in which a student athlete admitted to heavy drinking on more than one occasion. The student was suspended from team games for a few games as per the school's co-curricular code (drinking is strictly forbidden). ...

View more questions Search