Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobgail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 10:00 AM
    Leaking basement
    I live in the N.E. where there is lots of rain and snow. The house does not have gutters and leaders. (told not to use in order to prevent ice dams) A leak has developed along 3 ft of the basement wall. It appears to be the result of water coming off the roof at that place in great quantity during a heavy rain. What is your opinion about running a gutter on that side of the house to carry away the rainwater?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2005, 06:28 PM
    My first step would be to make sure the ground slopes away from the house so water falling there runs away rather than down. Even build it up a little right next to the foundation using the nastiest clay you can find.

Before installing any gutters, make sure the attic is well insulated and ventilated. I had a mildew problem on the north side of my attic. I used all perforated sofit and installed continuous roof vents. Keep the attic cold, and there won't be any ice dams.
    bobgail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Thanks for the help and the good suggestions
    Thank you for the good idea of using clay to build up the area around the house.

Where would I go to get this type of clay?

Thanks,

Bobgail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is leaking! [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old female cat. She is overweight and does have difficulty cleaning herself. For MANY months now she has been leaving little tiny brown spots when she sits down. I have to clean her at least once a week or her hair gets really matted by her vagina. It is really gross. I am not...

Shower pan leaking ? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

AC Capacitor Leaking Oil [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to replace it or can I just clean it up & replace it when it breaks down?

Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

We had been hearing running water near our kitchen sink, and the water meter dial had been turning constantly. The water bill jumped from fifty to eighty dollars.We called in a plumber who said we have a leak. He put nitrogen and helium into the pipes,so he would be able to hear exactly were the...

View more questions Search