Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beaglesgal Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Sniffing dog
    Hi everyone ,it's me again.. lol... I am happy to report that Jake is doing great with his crate traing and hasn't had a pooping accident in a coouple weeks.It seems once he got over his medical problems he is doing wonderfully.My question now is I have been trying to get Jake to walk on his leash and he does OK with it ,except that I can't get him to stop sniffing the ground and concentrate on his walk.His snout is always in the ground.Is there a certain collar I should have on him ? All suggestions with be very much appreciated! Jake is now 14 weeks old.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 06:38 AM
    All but the most recalcitrant young puppies can be controlled before they are 4 months old with the flat collar and patience. If you must have something more with a younger puppy, use a fabric restricted slip collar. These are sort of a cross between the conventional flat collar and the slip collar. Some of them are adjustable, Good for a growing puppy. They have a fabric loop at one end with a metal ring holding the other end in the loop, allowing it to slid back a forth. Find one, or adjust one to where it will go on over the puppies head, but will not tighten up past a snug fit around the neck. Put it on the same way as the metal slip collar. The service dog school my Pepper and Holly belong to uses them on all their dogs, puppies and working dogs, except where they must use a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. The prong collar is now a
    dangerous relic of value only for its macho looks. Do not consider using one
    without hands on instruction from somebody with plenty of experience with them. The professional field trainer I work with had me put Holly in a Gentle leader at 11 weeks. Unlike other collars it is important to avoid snaps of the leash and just rely on a steady pull.

Glad to hear his health is better and the crate clean. You can't train a dog out of a health problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does he get high from sniffing. [ 4 Answers ]

Timmy also like to sniff plastic... he is constantly sniffing any plastic thing in our house such as; trash bags, grocery bags, our shower curtain, suitcase knobs, any trash that's plastic, literally anything plastic he will sit by and sniff until we shew him away. When we come in the house with...

Sniffing a trading software [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a free software application that gets quotes from a website. I have seen what it is accessing. I have the destination port and destination ip address using packet sniffers. I just need to know how to get the data out of a packet that it is receiving so that I can make my own application...

When should I feed my dog adult dog food? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chocolat lab that just turned 1, and I'm wondering when do I stop feeding her puppy food? Omar

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Sniffing with ettercap [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals I wanted to know about how to sniff my network using ettercap I am basically using ettercap 4 windows some times it gets hanged! So please help me out and am looking forward for suggestons on making sense of the data in the packets really!

View more questions Search