Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20tony20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 09:16 PM
    2 year old dog using the bathroom in his bed
    We took in this 2 year old maltepoo and he doesn't seem to mind using his crate as a bathroom. I thought my kids weren't letting stay out long enough but he has done it now to myself and my husband. We take him out and he'll either pee a little or do nothing at all and then go in his crate. I know he can hold it. He does it over night. It seems to be when we leave him during the day. His previous owner left him out and let him go on a towel in the bathroom. I have tried everything I know and really like the dog but can't keep up with having to bathe him and all involved in this. Please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Read through the sticky on housebreaking including the part at the end on older dogs at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 You could try putting an old towel outside and see if he will use it. The grid I suggest in the sticky helps on urination, but less so with stools.

He may do better if he accepts you being in charge. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog sleeping in our bed? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At...

Cleaning a dog bed [ 10 Answers ]

Silly question but... how often should I wash my dog's bed? I got one with a removable cover so that I can wash it, but now I'm wondering if dogs find it more comforting if the bed smells like them (in which case, I'd only wash it if it gets dirty) or if it should be washed more often.

Buying adult dog which sleeps on a bed [ 3 Answers ]

We recently came across a 1yr old female Shih Tzu which we really like, the only problem is it sleeps on the owners bed, if we bought it we would want it to sleep downstairs in the kitchen, how do we do this without letting the dog sleep in our bed for the first few nights?

My Dog won't sleep in its bed! [ 2 Answers ]

We have just got ourselves a 2yr old golden retreaver. She is generally a well behaved well trained dog, who has taken to our children very well. Our only problem is that she won't sleep in her bed. Even if we try and put her in it she cowers back and struggles away. Its almost as if she is...

How Do I Put My 3 Year Old to Sleep When its Bed Time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I am Having Problems With My Three Year Old Daugter. She has always had Problems Sleeping... Which She Does Not Like To Sleep! But Since My twins were Born its Gotten Worse Then EVER!! I am trying to Break the Bad Habit , So my Twins won't fall in the same Trap! Please Help!! ...

View more questions Search