Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvgilpin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Homeowner Replacement Policy
    I recently filed a claim for damage to personal property from a lightning storm. I had damaged to several items one being an 60" TV. The repair estimate exceeds $1600.00 and the adjuster want to repair this item. I have talked with the repair company and Manufacture and they said while it can be repaired they cannot guarantee that the next weakest component will not fail. The stated it may last a week or one year that it is hard to tell. What are my rights here, can I request that my insurance company replace this TV or am I stuck with repairing this item?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Sep 9, 2007, 06:27 AM
    It never hurts to ask, as claims adjusters are human, but realize that your policy gives the company the right to determine repair or replacement. As I don't have any actual policy in front of me at the moment, I'll paraphrase the concept: the insurance company is required to return/repair/replace your lost/damaged item to it's pre-loss condition. In this example, they could 1) reimburse you for the cost of an identical new set, 2) have your existing set repaired or (theoretically) 3) replace your set with one of "like kind and quality" (and we won't get into a discussion of THAT!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Jacob - New Homeowner [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 220V wash machine that has a three prong plug. The 220V receptacle has four prongs. I chose to change the receptacle rather then the plug, not to lose the warranty. The problem is that I am left with one extra wire that comes to the original four prong receptacle, its either the green or...

Homeowner is selling house. [ 1 Answers ]

Our landlord/homeowner is selling the home we live in and is asking us to allow the realtor access to the property if and when they need it. The owner sent us a letter stating his intention to sell and is giving us a reduction on our rent so long as we get the home in "show-shape". What is...

Please Help: Advice for a homeowner about a Contractor! [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon. First some background. Recently I got a new position with my company. I stay in Cherry Hill NJ 3 weeks of every month for work, and on the 4th week I fly home to Oregon to be with my family. Hard hours, but that's how I pay the bills. I rent a room with a friend while here,...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search