Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkrazr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Depression ending a relationship?
    Hey everyone!

First of all, I'm new so I just wanted to say hi!

Secondly... my question. I have been in a serious, long term relationship for the past 5 years. We have had our problems and have broken up once before (and I admit, it was my fault the first time because I was too controlling around him), but shortly after reconnected and have ever since been working on repairing our relationship.

While we have had some problems, for the most part, things have been really good this time around. He would tell me how happy he is that I'm trying so hard for him, and how he wants more than anything for "us" to work. However, I have noticed that for awhile, once in awhile he would get very negative and cold towards me. He would say hurtful things to me and threaten to break up with me, even if we had a small problem that wasn't even serious.

Within the past month or so, things in his immediate family have become increasingly worse as a result of his sibling's mental illness. This has caused him a lot of anxiety and stress... on top of the new job he got in which he feels as if he's disappointing his coworkers. Additionally, he constantly worries about his social phobia.

Two weeks ago, we were having a great time, and he was telling me how happy he was, how much he loves me, and how he thinks things are going to work this time. Just three days later, his mood changed entirely, with him once again yelling at me and telling me that he never loved me and lately just "doesn't feel anything" anymore. He said he is the type of person that needs to be alone. When I asked him to explain, he couldn't. Regardless, he left with a huge headache, and broke up with me a few days later over the phone, giving me no explanation and then literally hanging up on me.

I'm not only devastated, but extremely confused. I know despite his words, he loves me. I confronted him with a few stories about depression, and while he admits that they sounds like him, he adamantly (and angrily) refuses to seek any help... perhaps because he has seen through his sibling what mental illness does to a person and is scared.

What do I do? I want to be there for him because he is truly a good person, and I want him to know that I will support him whenever he is ready. Do people with depression who push others away ever realize that it was a mistake and come around? How long should I wait before I can contact him to let him know that I will be there whenever he needs me?

Sometimes I worry that I was the cause of this... and wonder if his "problems" will go away when I go away. This is so hard to deal with alone, so if anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks...
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 07:30 AM
    pinkrazr,

I'm sorry but it does sound like he may have a personality disorder.

Check this out -

Personality Disorders

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad ending to Long distnace Relationship [ 2 Answers ]

My exboyfriend and I have gotten into huge fights for the last few weeks. He decided I need time alone and so does he to think. We will not be getting back togther. He said in three weeks we could start over. Does he mean it, will he call or am I fooling myself? I miss him and I know the reasons...

Never ending period! [ 2 Answers ]

I think I am suffering from the never ending period! I have a constant period for 3.5 weeks know. Every day I go through about 3 pads. I am not on the pill and am not taking any Meds and currently not having sex and never been pregnant. I did not have a period last month, but that happens sometimes...

Is it ending? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in a 2 year relationship with my boyfriend. About a year ago he took another job in another state and started commuting back and forth. A month ago he moved there permanately and I stayed. I was willing to move with him, but he never asked me too. He says that I "bust his balls"...

Relationship ending after 6 years and now I'm lost [ 23 Answers ]

I have posted here before and since then things had gotten better... for awhile. Then things started to get worse and recently, he decided he wanted to end it. He wants to move out and is looking for a place. It has ended badly with name calling, hating each other and he seems to think I'm cheating...

Sex at the ending [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is running 9th month is safe now to have sex What problems can come if I have sex at that time

View more questions Search