Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Issue with being Maid of Honor
    My best friend is getting married in May and has asked me to be the Maid of Honor. I accepted but told her when I accepted that I would not be able to afford to purchase a "one time use" gown and would need her guarantee that my dress would be something classic and re-wearable she agreed.

Well today she called to let me know that instead of the wine colored cocktail dress we agreed on I was to now go out and purchase a rather impractical organza easter egg lilac dress from an expensive bridal shop.

Her reason was that one of the bridesmaid looked bad in the bridesmaid dress she picked out so she decided to put her in a different dress and now did not want "a bunch of mis matched dressed strolling down the aisle". I told her that she knew I could not afford to purchase a toss off dress nor could I afford a dress from an expensive dress store. What can I do here to not seem like the jerky friend? She keeps turning it around saying that I'm making a fuss... am I? Thank for your help.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Well it is her wedding. If you cannot afford a dress you should tell her and ask that she pick someone else or fork over the money. This is her day.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 04:51 PM
    You had told her told her when you accepted that you would not be able to afford to purchase a "one time use" gown and would need her guarantee that your dress would be something classic and re-wearable.

SHE AGREED.

No, you aren't making a fuss. Tell her you have changed your mind unless she finds something suitable for all the women in her wedding.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
    I am going to be the maid of honor at my best friends wedding as well.

She too wants me to buy an expensive dress from a bridal shop. She also wants me to pay for other things, coming out to about a $1000.00 balance. I simply cannot afford that. I know its her day, but I don't even spend that amount of money on myself.

I told my friend that if she can't pick a reasonably priced dress, I would not be able to do it. I don't want to spend over $300 on something that I will never wear again, and I don't think anyone should.

Maybe you could get together with the bride and bridesmaids and have a "window shopping" day so you can all come to an agreement that you like, and that is reasonably cheap. I have tried this with the wedding party that I am a part of but nobody agreed.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Well the bridesmaids are all fine with the dress that was chosen for them. The bride and I slaved over finding a beautiful color, cut and style that would flatter the bridesmaids different body types and coloring however I guess we missed the mark on the one gal. I guess I'm just upset that we worked so hard on finding something flattering for the bridesmaids and finding a color dress for me that was attractive, classic and would go great with the bridesmaid dresses and she just throws it out the window.

She is just laying the absolute most heinous guilt trip on me. I called my mom from the bridal shop in tears not only was the dress expensive but the color is awful as is the fit. I know it is her day and she said to me that if the situation was reversed she would do whatever I asked and I told her I would never ask you to purchase an expensive dress you will never wear again.

She just seems as if she will not budge and yet she swapped out dresses for one girl and changed up the whole look of the wedding party. She and I have been friends for over 10 years and I've never seen her sit so hard on something. I even asked her if she wanted me to step down as MOH and she said she would be disappointed if I did but that it was up to me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Glinda, I know this is her day. But I have to side with you here as I know how it is not to be able to afford some things.

You can tell her that you are very honored that she would like you to be her MOH, unfortunately you cannot afford the dress that she picked. Let her know that it hurts you as much as it hurts her, but this is something that would set you back months as far as a budget goes.

Have you discussed with her the possibility of renting the dresses from the dress shop? Many places, like tux places, rent their formal wear. This may be an option.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I will ask her about that. We are supposed to talk more about it tonight. I'm glad that I'm not nuts. I do not think its too much to ask to be able to shop around for a dress and find something in my budget as we originally agreed to.

I just do not understand how someone can expect people to purchase a dress they will never, ever wear again. I could never ask my friends to buy something that would be useless to them. I mean really where on earth would I wear a poufy organza lilac dress? I'm a little too old for the easter parade.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
    The question that comes to my mind is, why is the bride so worried about making this other bridesmaid happy, but won't budge a bit for you? If it is your responsibility to honor the bride's wishes, shouldn't it be that one bridesmaid's responsibility too? It seems to me that bridesmaid should have followed the first dress and wedding plan.

Don't let her lay a guilt trip on you. It may be her day, but it can be expensive for everyone in the wedding party. The same as the bride I am dealing with, they need to take other people's finances into account.

After how hard you worked for her, I think you should have a little say in what you wear and how much money you will need to be spending.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
    That's how I feel and I told her that I felt that she was willing to change anything for anyone else but not for me. She said that since it was not about me looking awful in a dress then it was moot however I do look awful in the dress pastel colors look terrible on me. She told me to just put "something colorful in my hair".

Its just funny because a friend of hers got married over a year ago (before she was engaged) and this friend had her buy an expensive dress, travel down to Florida for the wedding (airfare and hotel) and I remember her saying I would never expect people to spend so much money on my wedding.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Women can get really crazy when it comes to weddings and it can be a real strain on a friendship. Whether she is being inreasonable or not, this is her day and you have to ask yourself how much you are willing to deal with for this friendship.
    Again, you either fork over the money, or tell her you're sorry but you can't do it. Talk to her about it. She will either understand and try to make some type of arrangement or she won't. This type of thing happens a lot with weddings. A lot of brides take into concideration the money other's put out, some MOH figure, this is my friend and money is not going to be an issue. This is something you have to decide.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I just don't want me backing out causing a strain in our friendship. She has been more sensitive lately and I don't want her to come to some knee jerk conclusion.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Then you do what you as a friend, feel you need to do. Buy the dress and be done with it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Maybe we here on AMHD should collect donations for Glinda so she can afford whatever expenses come her way as maid of honor. (The bride's new bridesmaid dress choice sounds kind of icky though.)

You've heard of bridezillas? I hope the bride is not going to become one of those. She may be trying too hard to please whoever the current complainer is.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
    It seems like the only choice I have is to pay for a dress I cannot afford or lose a friend... is that it or I'm I just worrying WAY too much here?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:36 PM
    From the letters I've read in Dear Abby etc. the bride rarely forgets stuff like this. It's probably a woman thing.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    It seems like the only choice I have is to pay for a dress I cannot afford or lose a friend....is that it or I'm I just worrying WAY too much here?
    It seems to me like any reasonable person would be willing to come to a compromise. I don't think your choices should be spend a ridiculous amount of money on an ugly dress you'll never wear again, or lose your relationship as friends.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Is the bride dead-set on the ugly bridesmaid dress, or would she be willing to rethink it?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:40 PM
    She is pretty much dead set on it. I tried to get her to look at other dresses in other colors and even different styles of the same dress and she refused. She then did the whole this is my day not yours and you are trying to make it about you, blah blah blah.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
    I am not saying you should do this, at all, but if "my bride" and me can't come to a compromise, I'm going to have to choose my money. I have kids and a household to take care of, and just can't afford it.

If she won't look at any other dresses at all, your choices are buy the dress, or don't. The thing is, after this day passes you will more than likely go back to being the best of friends, but you'd still be stuck with that dress. Maybe after the wedding you can sell it on eBay or something?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I just really cannot afford this dress. I'm starting my own business so all of my money is tied up in that. I know her and she is a grudge holder. I just feel so stuck. Its like my reasonable friend is all of a sudden unreasonable. Is it possible that she is trying to push me out purposefully?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maid Of Honor Toast needed quick.. HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's the 11th hour, but my daughter is in desperate need for a short, cute and memorable Maid of Honor Toast for a wedding she is going to attend tomorrow (9/20). If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. **She is Maid of Honor for her best friend.

I am getting sexually attracted to my maid [ 5 Answers ]

I am aged 39. We have a maid in our house who is also the same age. I am getting sexually attracted towards her day by day. Is there any way I can have a normal sex with her. I cannot take a risk of forced sex. Are there any means by which I can make her want sex. I am also afraid of giving her...

Matron of Honor under 18 [ 3 Answers ]

I am the matron of honor in my cousin's wedding. We didn't know if I would be able to sign as the witness on the marriage license at the wedding, even though I am under 18. Does anyone know about this? Thanks :)

Honor Father with a song [ 4 Answers ]

My father passed away 6 months ago and I am engaged to be married later in the year. We were very close, and of course I'm going to miss having him there on the wedding day. He and I talked about our father-daughter dance, but never picked a song. There are a couple of beautiful songs (for example,...

I just maid a mistake and broke up with her what do I do. [ 17 Answers ]

Threads merged Me and my Ex-girlfriend have been together for 2 1/2 years now. In the beginning like so many other relationships we were really into each other. With out having sex. When I met her she had an ex-boyfriend that she frequently visited in jail. I did'nt have a problem with it in the...

View more questions Search