Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balki_2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Joint Tax Returns, Even if Dependents (spouse&child) are not in US
    Hello Sir/Madam,

I on H1B visa, working in US since Mar-2006. My wife ( who was not working) & child joined me during Aug-2006. For Year2006, I filed Federal & State tax returns as "Married filing Jointly". We also got the ITIN for both of them

During May-07, they both went back to India. Do they need to come back to US, if I have to file tax returns as "Married filing Jointly" for Year 2007. If yes, by what date they have to be in US.

Could you please clarify this.

Thanks
    Krishna
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Krishna:

For sure, you can file jointly with your wife regardless of where she is located.

As for claiming your child, In my opinion, you can still claim the child as your dependent as long as the child remains in your wife's custody.

However, to be sure, it would be best if you could show that the child was in the United State for at least six of the twelve months in 2007.
    balki_2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Thank You very much for the clarification

But, I have doubt.. For 2007, My wife and son stayed only for 130 days and 1/3 of 2006 is 35 days. As per substantial presence test, My wife & son falls under the category of non-resident alien for Yr2007. Is my understanding right ? Will I be able to file as "Married filing jointly" even though they don't meet the substantial present test

I understand from your answer, that I cannot claim my son as dependent and child tax credit as he is only present 4.5 months in 2007. Does he need to physically with me for another 1.5 months in US or if he meets substantial present test, can I claim him as dependent.

Thanks again for your help!
    Krishna
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 01:41 PM
    The SPT does NOT apply for joint returns. She is filing as a non-resident alien spouse of a resident alien (you).

Further, you can claim your child for 2007 if he was in the United States for at least 31 consecutive days as a member of your household.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self [ 2 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

View more questions Search