Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fattimoo Posts: 82, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Keeping marine fish
    Hiya can anyone help me I'm thinking of starting a Maine tank. I know they are hard to look after but I really want to learn. I was looking at some tanks today and I found a marine tank that held 80 litres is that too small? Also is a fish only tank easier to look after?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Hi!
    I'd recommend researching marine tank set ups and compatible fish to get a feel of what you'd like to do.
    There are many different pros and cons to the different set ups and the fish species that can be kept in different environments and with each other.
    80 liters isn't impossible to keep marine environments in, however, I feel the cons outweigh the pros with smaller tanks..
    I feel that a fish only tank is a lot harder to keep in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
    With fish keeping there are so many different opinions, what works for me might not be what fits into your likes, dislikes, life style, etc.

You can read all about marine tanks by clicking here.
    Scroll down to the suggested reading box (really the whole site is wonderful)
    It's a great site to get a lot of information at.
    After you've made a decision and would like to begin your set up,
    I'll be happy to walk you though the steps and answer any questions that you may have.

PS My marine tank is a live rock set up, it works for me because I found it to be the easiest to keep... I like easy:D
    It was more expensive to set up, but well worth it.

Sep 10, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Hiya thank you for your help I've looked at that website and it does look very useful. I have been thinking of a live rock set up and thanks to you I have decided to do that. Thank you again!
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
    You are very welcome.
    I believe you will be very pleased with it.

If you have any questions or run into any situations that
    You're just not sure about or if you just want to share what you're doing, or need any advice, just let me know... I'll be happy to help!

Sep 29, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Hiya I've set up my marine tank I've got my temp right and the salt level but then I added sand and live rock and my salt changed is it because id not given it time to settle? I've been adding salt to half a jug of water and adding it to my tank and it has gone up is what I'm doing right or should I have left it and given it time to settle first? Thanks claire
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
    OK a few questions for you.
    What type of sand? Was is crushed coral, etc?
    The salinity level could have risen/dropped due to the type of sand used.
    What type (brand name) of salt?

What is the salinity level reading now?
    What size tank did you decide to go with?
    I'm guessing you have not added fish yet, correct?

Also, if you have added live rock to your tank already, don't forget it needs a food source (fish waste and old food provide it) and it needs for the salinity to be stable in order for it to survive.
    All the bacteria etc living on the rocks (which makes it live) is very delicate.

You can crumble some fish food in the water for now so that it can start decaying to provide the food source. Run your filters as well if you're not already.

As you probably have noticed by reading up on starting a marine tank, everyone and every site has different methods.

I can share with you the way I keep mine, because it's easy for me, but usually 2 different methods collide with one another.

If you'd like to tell me or provide a link to the site you've been following to set up your tank, I can help you make sense of the setting up process.
    I don't want to confuse you or mess up your system by incorporating my system into a system its not compatible with.

Also, different fish have different salinity level preferences.
    You will want to match the salinity levels to type of fish you want.

I personally recommend starting with one Damsel to cycle the tank with.
    They are hardy little marine fish and not to expensive.

I started my marine tank with them then traded them in for what I wanted after the tank was fully cycled and I learned the hang of keeping it stable.

Also what equipment are you using? Filter, protein skimmer, etc?

Sep 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
    The substrate is a natural aragonite sphere an the sea salt is tropic marin and it's a 2kg packet I bought a 58 litre tank and when I went to the shop they said to put half of the packet in first and then add bits until it's the correct reading but looking at the packet I should be putting it all in its reading between 0.019 and 0.020. They also advised me to put damsels in first and I was hoping to do so tomorrow that's why I got the live rock. My tank has a pump, protein skimmer, built in biochemical filter system and a uv sterilization lamp thanks again for your help!
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:13 PM
    The salinity is perfect for new fish!! :D :D :D
    Here, fish shops keep their salinity between 0.019 and 0.022.

You could call the fish shop to find out what their salinity levels and PH is so that you can adjust it to match - just makes it easier to acclimate new fish to the new environment.
    They will probably tell you how to do it even if your levels are a little off from theirs, but don't let them forget;)

Great substrate and equipment too!

I know this must be exciting!
    My marine tank is my favorite.
    I know your going to love it.

Sounds like you're doing everything perfectly!

Great Job!

Sep 30, 2007, 04:43 AM
    Aaww thanks kae! Yeah I can't wait to get fish in it, it is exciting! Thanks or your help I will let you know how it goes thanks again!:D :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
    What are your water tests reading?
    Algae most likely occurs in a cycle aquarium.
    Algae also feeds off nitrate which indicates the level may be to high (even if the cycle is not complete).
    You started with live rock which is a great way to boost the cycle.
    So checking to see if it's complete is needed.
    Yes light is a contributor too.
    Mine stay on 4 hours a night and never on during the day because during the day there is already natural light coming through and the lights being on in the aquarium is sometimes too much.
    A little algae isn't bad though, I like the look of just a little and it helps remove some of the nitrate levels naturally because it consumes it as food.
    Check your water and let me know what it says.
    Ammonia ppm
    Nitrite ppm
    Nitrate ppm

Oct 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Ammonia 0.25 or 0 very close colours
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10 it has been 20 since sat when I first did it
    I've been keeping a note from each time an no reading has bin high just a bit higher than what they are. I've been keeping my light on during the day I will start keeping it off and on for a bit at night thanks for your help!
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Your water readings are indicating that your tank is cycled.
    I'm a little confused though because the nitrate level doesn't go down by itself, it goes up.
    You have to do partial water changes to remove them or add nitrate absorbers or chemicals to remove them.
    Have you done any of that?
    I was once trying to help someone who had nitrite and nitrate confused, just want to make sure that's not the case here.
    You're doing a great job!
    Did you go with the Damsels?

Oct 10, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Yeah I got two damsels a domino and a cream and brown striped one. No I haven't done a water change I mite of read it wrong on the chart haha thanks for your help! Would it be save to do a water change? I were reading on that website you gave me I takes away elements thanks again your so knowledgeable!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
    If you had mistaken nitrite for nitrate, then your water test is indicating that it is almost cycled.
    Once ammonia and nitrite levels have both dropped to 0 ppm, it means the tank is cycled.
    Then, the nitrate level will start to rise, water changes are what keep nitrate levels at bay.
    When you have a cycled aquarium, the only toxin that will be in the water is nitrate.
    You want the nitrate level to remain in the safe zone, so
    Every time you notice it at the far end of the safe zone, it's safe and time for a water change.

Water changes do remove the elements, however, you are adding them back to the water when refiling the tank with the saltwater mixture.
    Tropic Marin salt contains all 70 trace elements found in ocean waters - it's a very good brand.
    So, you don't have to worry about removing elements because you'll be adding them back into the tank during the water change since your salt has them all in there.

Just remember these elements do not evaporate along with the water, so when topping off your water due to evaporation, you will not add salt along with the water.

Another thing, since I'm thinking about it, is you want to try to keep a constant water level since elements do not evaporate.
    As water evaporates, the aquarium will have stronger concentrations of all elements, which can be harmful.

Talk to you later :)

Oct 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Yeah that makes sense thanks! Nitrite is the one that should be blue int it? That's the one that's at 0
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Yes, nitrite is blue.
    It appears that your tank is cycled :D
    Oh, and also, don't worry if the ammonia level appears to read .25, mine does that too.
    The colors are very close, like you mentioned.
    If it's hard to distinguish them apart, consider it a 0.
    Fish are constantly producing ammonia and I believe this particular test kit is very sensitive.

Oct 12, 2007, 01:01 PM
    That's more quick than I thought I thought it would be weeks! When you buy live rock can you put it straight into your tank?
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fattimoo
    thats quicker than i thought i thought it would be weeks! when you buy live rock can you put it straight into your tank?
    You thought the cycle would take longer?
    It would have, but you have live rock right? lots of good stuff live on those rocks that cycle the tank very quickly.
    The filters will still need to establish good strong bacterial colonies (* probably around 30 days*), but the live rock is providing them with all the necessities that gave it a quick boost.
    That's why I love live rock so much.
    Are you wanting to add more live rock and asking if you can just put it in the tank?
    If so, yes, but you only want to put enough live rock to sustain your aquarium.

Oct 12, 2007, 01:37 PM
    yeah the guy in the shop said weeks, yeah I want to put sum more in it looks a bit empty! Thanks for your help!
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 01:39 PM
    I should probably mention that different aquarist have different opinions about adding live rock.
    Personally, I have just put it in there with no ill effects on the rocks or tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marine AC problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a self contained 6000 BTU marine ac that trips the circuit breaker about 2 seconds after the compressor kicks on. So far I've changed the compressor, the breaker,the hard start capacitor and sent the circuit boards out to be checked. If I disconnect the hard start capacitor from the...

Confused, new to fish keeping [ 273 Answers ]

Sorry if I go on too long, I just want to make sure all the information I need is in this post. In the beginning of January, a friend of mine gave me 6 fish. They are Zebra Cichlids. I had a ten gallon aquarium. One of them had babies at the end of January, so I got another ten gallon aquarium...

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

Marine biology [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 and I want do marine biology as a major in college and as a job. So I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get hands on experience for this summer without causing me to go broke?

View more questions Search