Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 02:40 PM
    If they look like crabs, then perhaps that is what they are.
    I really wish I knew more about them.
    I just didn't think that they had hair.

If it doesn't resemble a worm or a centipede or something with that form (no matter how small), then I think you are in the clear.
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 02:42 PM
    OK, I just read your other post... hold on, I'll be right bac
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
    So you think they (or it) are bristle worms?
    Tonight when you turn off the lights, check the tank often to see if you see it out.
    fattimoo Posts: 82, Reputation: 4

Oct 28, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Yeah I will do thanks for your help! Would it eat muscle? I put a muscle in for my crab at night in the morning it looked wedged in the piece of rock I saw the thing come out of :eek:
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
    They will eat anything and everything and they sting too, so watch out if you're putting your hands on the rocks or in the tank.

It needs to be caught because I think the treatments are deadly for other creatures as well, like the crab.

I know they have traps for them, but I don't know how well they work.

Try to watch often when the lights are out tonight to see if you can see it.

Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Hiya I had a look last night and I couldn't see anything I rang the fish shop and asked them and he said they will always be there there's nothing I can do is he fobbing me off? What would you suggest I do?
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
    I have been doing some reading up on bristle worms.
    Seems like some are bad, but some can be beneficial.
    Bristle worms There is really good info here. I'm still reading it myself.

Oct 30, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Thank you I will read it

Nov 1, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Hiya what is a reasonable reading for nitrate in my tank? Its slowly moved up to 40 and I've been doing 10 % water changes but it doesn't seem to move down my ammonia is 0/0.25 and nitrite is 0 is there anything I can put in to keep it down? Thank you
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
    The ammonia and nitrite reading are perfect. The ammonia will always appear to be 0/0.25, but it's 0, so no worries there.

The nitrate level is in the upper mid section of being OK.
    It's safer to stay in the 0 - 20 ppm range.

I use a water conditioner called Prime, it's made by SeaChem.
    It will detoxify nitrate and nitrite as well as remove chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia.

How often are you doing water changes?

Nov 2, 2007, 12:10 AM
    Am doig them once a week? Should it be more?
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:28 AM
    I had to look back in the posts to see what size tank you have, but just to make sure I'm correct, you have a 58 liter tank?

One of the cons to having a smaller tank is that there is less water to dilute
    The toxins.
    Nitrate is not toxic to fish unless it gets into the higher numbers.
    I think you're doing good with one water change a week and keeping the nitrate level at 40 ppm, that shows tremendous effort and dedication.

With all your hard work, you'd probably like to see that number drop to a level where a weekly water change will keep the levels in the safe zone.

You could temporarily do a 10% water change every other day until the nitrate level is between 0 ppm - 10 ppm. The closer to zero, the better.

After the initial bulk of the nitrate is removed, it should be easier to keep the levels safe with a once a week water change.

You could also use the Prime I was telling you about and that will detoxify toxins during and between water changes.

Nov 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Aw thanks for that it made me feel good about it!:D I thought I was doing too many water changes but you ve restored my confidence in what I'm doing!:D :D

Nov 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Hiya can I add sea sponges to my tank or are they a type of coral and need extra light?
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Sea sponges are living animals, I'm thinking they need coral to survive, not just rock.
    That's something I have to double check, but I'm almost positive they need a reef setup.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I checked and they need a coral reef set up or a set up with a substantial amount of live rock.
    You may want to check with the fish shop to see if they have any that may accommodate your tank.
    This link provides a lot of the same info as my book.Aquarium Invertebrates

Nov 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Thank you! You are a big help! :D :D

Nov 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Hiya I know this mite seem a bit strange to ask but I were doing a water change and checking my heater and filter and in the built in filter system at the end where the water comes back out to the tank there's a lot of dirt is that normal? It will just go back into the tank how would I get rid of it? I'm sorry if you can't really understand what I've wrote.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Do you happen to be using a water conditioner with added slime coat or
    That says it promotes a healthy slime coat or anything to that effect?

Nov 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
    No I don't put anything in my water but in my tank there is a slight film of that sandy looking stuff

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marine AC problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a self contained 6000 BTU marine ac that trips the circuit breaker about 2 seconds after the compressor kicks on. So far I've changed the compressor, the breaker,the hard start capacitor and sent the circuit boards out to be checked. If I disconnect the hard start capacitor from the...

Confused, new to fish keeping [ 273 Answers ]

Sorry if I go on too long, I just want to make sure all the information I need is in this post. In the beginning of January, a friend of mine gave me 6 fish. They are Zebra Cichlids. I had a ten gallon aquarium. One of them had babies at the end of January, so I got another ten gallon aquarium...

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

Marine biology [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 and I want do marine biology as a major in college and as a job. So I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get hands on experience for this summer without causing me to go broke?

View more questions Search