Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batsette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 09:56 AM
    Distemper shots for dogs
    I read on a holistic website that shots are not very healthy for dogs, that most shots are good for several yrs, and that the only shot required by law every 3 yrs is a rabies shot. So I just skipped the shots for my -zu this year.
    My neighbor's german shepherd just died of distemper, because he did not have his latest shot. Is this possible and why would canine shots not be legally required if this is true. Does anybody know?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 06:52 PM
    Do some research, and you will find a certain percentage of dogs have bad reactions from any type of shots and even die. There comes a point where more shots kill more dogs that they save. We stopped giving people smallpox vaccinations. However, the number of dogs dying from bad reactions is very small. And as your neighbor found out, unvaccinated dogs die. At a very minimum, I would do the required rabies annually and a DLCP at least every 3 years, although yearly would be safer.

Rabies is regulated and not most other things because people can get rabies. If I have my dogs vaccinated, your neighbor's dog's distemper are no danger to me or my dogs. If you don't vaccinate your dog, and it dies, that is hurtful to you, not me. I think there are already too many good ideas written into law.
    abcs Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by batsette
    Is this possible and why would canine shots not be legally required if this is true.
    I'm curious as to why you phrased the question that way. Is it possible that a dog that was not up to date on his distemper shots caught distemper and died? Of course!!

The rabies vaccine is required by law because rabies is a public health risk for humans. Unfortunately the law does not always go as far to protect animals. As labman pointed out, reactions to vaccines are quite rare, and if your dog has already had the distemper vaccine the chances of him developing an allergy now are even less. And given the fact that your dog has been in proximity with a dog with distemper, I'd say he's more at risk now than if he had been vaccinated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distemper [ 5 Answers ]

What else should I do with a puppy that was diagnosed with distemper (I found it in the streets) went to the vet. And he gave it the shots but all of the sudden this puppy had diarrhea and difficulty standing up straight I went again to the Vet. And was diagnosed with distemper. Is she going to...

Can a dog get rabies when he has his shots [ 3 Answers ]

My dog got into a tussle with a possom. We think he got bit but he has his rabies shots. Is it possible he can get rabies from this? Thank you for your time.

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search