Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chrissy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Not able to access Adobe site
    Hello
    I am wanting to download acrobate reader inorder to read pdf files when I try to go to the adobe site it tells me can not find server, but if I try to access the site from another PC it goes to the page with no problem. I am using windows 98 SE. Please help.
    Thank You
    CL
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2005, 10:31 AM
    Try purging your Temp Internet Files and trying again.

Tools>Internet Options>General
    Chrissy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Not able to access Adobe site
    Hello, ScottGem
    I tried doing as you said, but the problem still remains, do you have any other suggestions?
    Thank You
    CL

Sep 14, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Did you reboot afterwards? What version of windows? How do you get to the Internet?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2005, 02:27 AM
    What address are you using to get to the Adobe site?

Have you tried getting it from a different site? If not, Try here.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2005, 04:02 AM
    Adobe Acrobat Reader
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; with Adobe Reader 5.0.
    Another posted answer gave you a link "Try Here". That link takes you to Adobe Reader 7.0, which is not for Win98/98SE. It is for Win2000 and XP. If you download it, it could possibly crash your 98; but not sure cause I personally, will not try it! It could give the same bad results as downloading Windows Media Player 10 for 98/98SE; crashes the computer.
    Here is a link:

http://www.ebookmall.com/adobe-pdf/
    Click on the icon on the left, Adobe Reader, to download version 5.0; which does work well with Win98/98SE.

Also, do you clean out cookies, history, URL's, you no longer want to use? It could be an "old" cookie is taking you to a site that no longer is valie, using your computer.
    Here is a link to a great, free, cleaner that cleans out junk files. I use it with my 98SE, works great. You can also tell it to keep cookies, and websites you want.
    http://www.ccleaner.com

Best wishes,
    fredg

Sep 15, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Another posted answer gave you a link "Try Here". That link takes you to Adobe Reader 7.0, which is not for Win98/98SE. It is for Win2000 and XP. If you download it, it could possibly crash your 98; but not sure cause I personally, will not try it!
    The simple act of downloading a file will not crash a system. However, if an attempt is made to install the file it could have an adverse effect. More likely the install routine will issue a warning that it's the wrong version and abort the install.

Otherwise, that was a good catch by Fred.
    CS ROCKS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Doesn't Work either
    I need help my computer is working fine accept my cd drive it won't even try to run the disk it doesn't spin or nothing it doesn't even know it is their any suggestions? :mad: :(

Oct 3, 2005, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CS ROCKS
    I need help my computer is working fine accept my cd drive it wont even try to run the disk it dosent spin or nothing it dosent even know it is their any suggestions? :mad: :(
    Have you checked in Device Manager to see what it says about the CD drive?

A couple of other points here. You shouldn't piggyback on someone else's thread unless your question directly pertains to it. You question has nothing to do with Adobe's site.

What I suggest you do is repost this question under the Hardware topic and give us full info like your version of Windows, how old your PC is etc, and we can try to help.
    GussieGooGoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 11:18 PM
    Need help reading ebook
    My Dad downloaded an ebook just like usual. However this particular e-book is not readable on Adobe 5 (he's running Win98). The ebook requires Adobe 6 or higher and after an hour of screwing around, I realized he can't run Adobe 6 or higher on Win98.

I have the book on my system - but can't get it to him - can't print the book, can't save the book to cd.. I'm totally lost. I never encountered a .pdf that you couldn't do a darn thing with.

Any ideas on how to get it out of my system so my dad can read it, short of sending him my tower??

Gussie

Oct 27, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GussieGooGoo
    My Dad downloaded an ebook just like usual. However this particular e-book is not readable on Adobe 5 (he's running Win98). The ebook requires Adobe 6 or higher and after an hour of screwing around, I realized he can't run Adobe 6 or higher on Win98.

I have the book on my system - but can't get it to him - can't print the book, can't save the book to cd.. I'm totally lost. I never encountered a .pdf that you couldn't do a darn thing with.

Any ideas on how to get it out of my system so my dad can read it, short of sending him my tower????

Gussie
    If the PDF requires Acrobat 6 and he can't run Acrobat 6, sounds like you are stuck.
    GussieGooGoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply... I kind of figured we were in a pickle but I appreciate your time just the same.

Makes me mad that they're blocking someone from reading an e-book because they don't have a newer computer! I could see if he was still on Windows 3.1 <g>, but lots of people are still running Win 98.

Maybe this'll prompt him to get a new computer or even upgrade to 98 SE (from what I read, you can get Adobe 6 on that... ).

Many thanks!

Gussie

Oct 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
    When downloading the book, there should have been requirements listed for reading it. If it listed Actobat 6 then he should never have downloaded it.

Things go forward. In the name of progress sometimes older technology becomes obsolete.

On the other hand, he should be able to find an 98SE upgrade on E-Bay for peanuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adobe pagemaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have already searched it on net but nothing was satisfactory. Actually, I am not able to run Adobe Pagemaker program until I go to Task Manager and end the Rundll32.exe process. After ending this process only I am able to run Pagemaker and my system also gets fast after killing this process. I...

Site where I can store a 4MB movie and have others access it [ 6 Answers ]

I remember someone posting a link to a site. I know about yousendit.com, was there another?

Anyone knows adobe.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all, I want to know how to add fonts in adobe illustrator and photoshop :) is that too much hehehe have a nice day... Thankz...

Web-site access [ 7 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am having a problem accessing a particular web-site. I can access the site for several consecutive days and then for no apparent reason I cannot pull the site up for several days. I don't believe it is a problem with the site as I was able to pull it up just a couple hours earlier...

View more questions Search