Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolfreakwow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Don't know what to choose
    :confused: well I have to chose between a chihuahua and a mini doxin whice 1 should I get
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Dogs vary so much within a breed, you might best go with which ever breed you can find a quality dog from. Look around at both breeds until you find a good one. There is some very good advice at Woodhaven Labradors Articles

Consider the animal shelter. There are many nice dogs, and you can see how
    They look with little or no grooming. You can also see how they behave. Look
    For dogs that want your attention, but are not going wild. Leave the ones that
    Retreat to the back of their cage. Look at their teeth. Look for ones that
    Still show a 3 lobed, clove like pattern on the front ones. Leave the ones
    That fight letting you look at their teeth too much. If the points are worn
    Off the teeth, it is an older dog that may break your heart by dying too soon.
    Pinch the web between its toes. It hurts. It is OK for the dog to pull away
    Or whine, but it shouldn't growl, snap or show its teeth. Since the shelter likely will kill most of the dogs, you may as well pick out a nice one.

Finding a good breeder and purchasing a puppy that will make a good pet is very difficult. Almost nobody is intentionally breeding dogs to be nice pets. Most of your so called reputable breeders are breeding for show or something. They may say the puppies they don't keep for their purpose make great pets, but the truth is that the parents were selected for other than health and temperament. Often they keep the puppies in the kennel too long and they miss the important early socialization puppies need to live in the house with people.

Next are the disreputable breeders. They breed any 2 registered dogs they can lay a hold of looking only at the money they can make selling them to pet stores. Pet store puppies are easy to find, but difficult to socialize into nice pets, perhaps difficult to even keep alive. You will not get what you pay for at a pet store.

One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue
    Dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home
    To be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may
    Find a rescue near you starting at American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who Do I choose? [ 12 Answers ]

Ok! So there is this guy... That I have been talking to and I think I am falling in love with him and he has done told me that he feels the same and This is the problem. I am engaged to be married and I am having seconds thoughts on whether I really love him or even am ready to get married. and the...

Who should I choose [ 5 Answers ]

OK I'm going out with this guy and I love him and everything but there's another guy that I also like and I no he likes me. But the problem is, is that I'm stuck between both of them. They both told me that they love hanging out with me becoz I make them happy. I don't no which I too choose. I love...

Who should I choose? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been single for quite a while and then all of a sudden I met a friend who I was at school with which was over 5 years ago for names sake I will call him John, well we became friends and then one day out of the blue he asked me out, we get on really well as friends and was a bit shocked when...

Which one to Choose? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm quite new to computer and I've been asked to advise on which Program to choose for a company-Off-the-shelve application package or Bespoke Application package. Please help me to give a very meaningful answer as to the advantages and disadvanges each have over the other. Thank you.

View more questions Search