Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13yrslater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Overpayment of Canada Student Grant
    I was recently notified that I was overpaid in 1991 on a Federal Student Grant. Given that it was 17 years ago, I was never notified before now, and it is a relatively small amount I am astounded that I am now receiving automated calls from a collection agency several times a day. Do I have any recourse?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
    You ask for proof of the overpayment. If they can prove it, pay it. Do not pay any interest, just the actual amount of the overpayment.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13yrslater
    I was recently notified that I was overpaid in 1991 on a Federal Student Grant. Given that it was 17 years ago, I was never notified before now, and it is a relatively small amount I am astounded that I am now receiving automated calls from a collection agency several times a day. Do I have any recourse?
    From Ontario Canada:
    A Canada Student Grant is given under the federal student loan legislation. Do not write to them. Allege by phone that the debt is statute barred and that the 6 year limitation period has expired. You do not verbally intend to pay for this reason.

Have they attached your tax refunds or GST credits to set off against the debt during the past 6 years? I must repeat do not send the student loan creditor any thing in writing as such correspondence call be deemed as an admission of debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Student loans in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US citizen, Canadian resident and because of living here I have lost my license to practice my profession in the US. So, I am thinking of stopping to pay my student loans. What can the US creditors do to me here in Canada? How can I protect myself? I am married to a Canadian and all our...

Bank of America Overpayment [ 3 Answers ]

Apologies in advance for long post. So my story is I gave notice rather abruptly at Bank of America when I worked in their customer service dept. I'm not 100% positive of the date but I believe it was May 23rd of this year. Anyway, my last paycheck from them was a full check which surprised me....

Child Support Overpayment [ 13 Answers ]

In 2005 the State of Indiana intercepted my '04 Tax returns to repay the $5500 in welfare that my ex received for my son. My Fed return was $6200 and my state was $450. They started taking $85/wk when my order was for $54/wk. The next year they took the Fed $2597 and the State $200 with no...

Child Support Overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I am in South Carolina. My last child graduated from high school in May. My ex continued to pay child support for 6 weeks. I was struggling financially at the time and thought he was being considerate since the payments were no burden for him. Now he says he made the payments in error and has...

F1 Student Moved To Canada. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help my case: I moved recently (September 1, 2005) to Canada from US. I was working as a Graduate Assistant in the States for 6 years and filled resident tax last 2 years before making the move to Canada. I was wondering as to which form do I fill now....

View more questions Search