Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwfortino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
    supliment wood stove
    I have a split fourer 60x30 half the downstairs is a living area with a wood stove to help heat in the winter. The wood stove is on the outside end wall of the house. I have vents up in the ceiling downstairs in each corner of the living area. My problem is the heat from the stove does not reach to the up stairs area very well. To get heat upstairs the downstairs room gets very warm. How can I get more warm air to reach upstairs? Would a ceiling fan downstairs help? Do I need to have a cool air vent somewhere? Thanks rick
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfortino
    i have a split fourer 60x30 half the downstairs is a living area with a wood stove to help heat in the winter. the wood stove is on the outside end wall of the house. i have vents up in the cieling downstairs in each corner of the living area. my problem is the heat from the stove does not reach to the up stairs area very well. to get heat upstairs the downstairs room gets very warm. how can i get more warm air to reach upstairs? would a ceiling fan downstairs help? do i need to have a cool air vent somewhere? thanks rick
    I had a similar set up but my stove was in a basement. With a vent directly above the stove it cranked out the heat. You problem might be the size of the area it's in. That's a large room to heat with a wood stove and expect residual heat to go upstairs. Your best bet would be to put a vent directly over the stove.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Depending on if you have central air or not and if the return is downstairs, you might be able to simply turn on the fan in the central air and circulate the warm air thruout the house.
    I have installed a fan to circulate air around the fire box when the fire place was built and duct it close to the return grill of the central air and then run the fan. It was not permitted to actually connect to the duct of the central air, this worked pretty well. Good luck, Mike
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
    A ceiling fan downstairs would help, one in the stairs or any other area that covers both levels would be best. Ceiling fans are very beneficial to heating with wood stoves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood burning stove blower thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new blower fan for my buck wood burning stove insert and the thermostat that used to have 3 speeds high, med & low now only works on high. I figure I hooked the wires up wrong when I got the new blower fan. Any suggestions on the wiring? Eric

Wood stove is smokey [ 5 Answers ]

O.K. now is the time of year I need to take care of this. We moved into our house in Dec. of 2005, and for the past two winter I've had trouble with a downdraft in the small wood stove in the basement. Typically here is what happens after I got the paper and wood set up for a fire. I'll take a...

Laminate flooring around a wood stove [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing laminate flooring in our home and are concerned about how to around a wood stove?? If someone knows please answer thank you:

Removing a wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

Help! When we brought this townhome it came w/a wood burning stove in the fireplace. It is ugly to us and we would like to remove it. Can we just leave the "hole" and still burn wood?

View more questions Search