Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rondak46 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Take extra deductions, pay later?
    I need extra money now in my paycheck. Can I take extra deductions as long as I pay the IRS when I file? Thanks, Mike
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 09:27 AM
    The IRS has rules about underwitholding. You need to check them out. But if you can do a balancing act between what you claim in expemptions and what your actual taxes may be, you can avoid giving Uncle Sam large interest free loans.

For more than 20 years, I have fluctuated between a refund or additional tax payment of less than $100. Some years I get back, some I pay, but always less than $100. Uncle Sam won't loan me money without interest I don't see why I should do that for him.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Agree with Scott. You can a high number of exemptions to max out your take-home pay, but if you owe more than $1,000 when you file, you WILL pay a penalty.
    rondak46 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 03:21 AM
    Thanks Guys, Due to a corporate takeover and my 10% participation in an ESPP I am looking at a 500% gain on 10% of my takehome pay. There are only 3+ months left in the year and I am looking for any way possible to maximize my takehome pay. I started by dropping out of the 401K; in which I already had reached the maximun employer match.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 08:54 AM
    If the 500% gain is due to the stock merger, do not over react.

Many mergers are structured in such a way as to make them tax-free, or, at the mininum, not taxable until you sell the stock.

If you are not selling the stock, no taxes will be due.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deductions from pay check [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Aniruddha kulkarni. I am a F1 student working as a full time Associate on my CPT. I know for tax purposes I am considered as a non-resident alien. My emlpoyer makes the following deductions from my bi-weekly pay check: 1. Fed Tax 2. CA state income tax

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Extra Extra Dry Skin [ 8 Answers ]

I have extra extra dry skin. I am constantly shedding. What can I do about this. I have tried all kinds of lotions

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

View more questions Search