Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmax31 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Summons to appear for past cc debt
    Hi, I received a summons last Wed. (9-5-07) that has me scheduled to report to a pretrial conference on Mon (9-10-07). The collection agency is suing over a debt they purchased from one of my old credit cards. The last payment that was made on the card was 1-5-02. The Florida statute of limitations is 5 years which has already passed. I plan on going to court representing myself on Monday. I understand that I need to NOT acknowledge that I owe anything on this debt. I plan to ask the judge for a Motion to Dismiss the case due to the statute of limitations expiring. Also, it seems the amount of time from when I was served the summons and when I need to appear in court is very short. Do I have some sort of legal recourse regarding this as well? Thanks for any advise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I would not mention the short time frame since the hearing was set by the court, not the creditor. If this is a just a pre-trial conference, then its simply a time for you to express your Intent to defend and ask for verification. I don't think you can make a motion to dismiss at this time, but you can try.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
    File NOtice of Intend to Defend, and File Motion to Dismiss expired SOL, at he same time, the court will not waste their time on a matter expired. By filing the Motion to Dismiss that informs the court of that matter.

Sep 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    File NOtice of Intend to Defend, and File Motion to Dismiss expired SOL, at he same time, the court will not waste their time on a matter expired. By filing the Motion to Dismiss that informs the court of that matter.
    Thanks Mr. Yet

By the way, should I file all of this information prior to appearing to the pretrial conference? The pretrial is set at 10:30am on Monday(9-10-07). Or, can I simply take the printed copies and hand them to the judge? Thanks again for all you advise.

Sep 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Since this is Friday, just bring them with you.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmax31
    Thanks Mr. Yet

By the way, should I file all of this information prior to appearing to the pretrial conference? The pretrial is set at 10:30am on Monday(9-10-07). Or, can I simply take the printed copies and hand them to the judge? Thanks again for all you advise.

File Monday with the clerk of the court and have extra copies that are timed stamped to take into the court rooom with you.

Sep 7, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Thanks again everyone. You have been a great deal of help. This definitely helps me go into Monday with a little more confidence. Have a great weekend!

Sep 10, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    File monday with the clerk of the court and have extra copies that are timed stamped to take into the court rooom with you.
    Hello again,

Well, I survived the pretrial without much fanfare. The judge basically came into the room, asked that each person answer Accept or Deny for the charge. I went up, Denied the claim, and was told that a mediation date will be set. That was it. Oh yeah, prior to arriving in the court room, I filed a Notice of Intent to Defend & a Motion to Dismiss with the Civil Division records department.

My question, what should I expect on my next trip to the courthouse? Since I already filed the paperwork, will the judge have it in hand and Dismiss the case? Do I need to file any further documents prior to my next court appearance? As always, much thanks for your advise.

Signed - Representing Me

Sep 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
    You need to file a motion for discovery to get verification and history of the debt. For some reason they think the SOL hasn't expired, you need to know why to be prepared to answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am so desperate and so worried that I find myself seeking the help of strangers. On Friday I received a hand delivered summons to appear in court regarding a credit card debt. I have opened credit cards in the past, but I do not remember this particular bank. I also wonder if I did owe,...

Court summons for past credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 23 year old full time college student and I work part time as a cashier. I just received a summons to appear in court for the amount of $2900.00 that they say I owe them from a card two years ago. I stopped paying on it over two years ago. This is higher than the actual amount of the...

Summons for credit debt [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons yesterday on a credit debt that I have. Once I received this I called the law firm handiling the claim and talked to them about avoiding court and setting up a payment plan to repay the debt. They agreed and now I am paying so much a month until it is paid off. My question is...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

View more questions Search