Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jencam56 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:12 AM
    IVF Insurance in MASS
    My husband and I just found out that we have to have IVF (in vitro)to conceive. We don't have any insurance right now, and we need to find who will cover this. There has been past failed pregnancies with the result of surgery as well. Do you know of any companies that will consider us?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 08:25 AM
    I hope this doesn't sound rude, but if you don't have insurance and do manage to conceive, how are you going to manage the OB and hospital costs?

My girlfriend went through multiple IVFs and spent 10s of thousands of dollars out of pocket and was never able to conceive.

Sep 7, 2007, 08:46 AM
    My husband recently changed jobs so his insurance hasn't started yet. We just want to make sure we pick up the right policy to cover it.

Also, we are both veterans of the Army. All my OB costs and hospitals visits are taken care of.
    That was rude. That was none of your business though. That was NOT what I was asking. I want to know what policy and who we should get the insurance through.

His company has Blue cross and we need to see if they cover this, but I don't know how.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
    When his company gives him the information of what they offer, you'll have the informaton (contacts) in front of you. You can either call BCBS or his HR benefits coordinator at work to inquire about IVF specifically.

Its all very individual based on options his company chooses to provide. (I once had BCBS and my mother did as well but since we worked for different companies our policies were entirely different) If they don't you could start calling secondary insurance companies individually to inquire what you would be covered and at what cost to you.

*edit* BCBS = blue cross blue shield

Sep 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Thank you for that. I will look into it
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
    If his company only offers one insurance program, then you need to speak to a benefits rep about what is covered. If IVF is not covered, then I doubt if there is a separate policy you can get.

As far as Emland being rude, I'm afraid you were offbase there. You may not fully understand how a site like this works. When you post a question or comment, you are opening yourself for others to comment on what you post. I think Emland's comments about considering the costs of parenthood when you don't have insurance was pertinent.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Sep 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
    IVF is mandated in MASS. All group products will pay for it.

Infertility Benefits
    (Except a policy which provides supplemental coverage to Medicare or other governmental programs and
    Dioceses)
    ______ According to M.G.L. c. 176G, § 4, policies “shall provide, to the same extent that benefits are
    Provided for other pregnancy-related procedures, coverage for medically necessary expenses of
    Diagnosis and treatment of infertility to persons residing within the commonwealth.. . [and]
    ‘infertility’ shall mean the condition of a presumably healthy individual who is unable to
    Conceive or produce conception during a period of one year.” (See also Bulletin No. 95-08)
    ______
    ______
    According to 211 CMR 37.05, “[s]ubject to any reasonable limitations as described in
    211 CMR 37.08, insurers shall provide benefits for all non-experimental infertility procedures
    Including, but not limited to:
    (1) Artificial Insemination (AI);
    (2) In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Placement (IVF-EP);
    (3) Gamete Intra fallopian Transfer (GIFT);
    (4) Sperm, egg and/or inseminated egg procurement and processing, and banking of sperm or
    Inseminated eggs, to the extent such costs are not covered by the donor's insurer, if any;
    (5) Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) for the treatment of male factor infertility;
    (6) Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT).”
    ______ According to 211 CMR 37.06, “[I]nsurers shall not impose exclusions, limitations or other
    Restrictions on coverage for infertility-related drugs that are different from those imposed on any
    Other prescription drugs.”
    ______ According to 211 CMR 37.08(1), “[n]o insurer shall impose deductibles, copayments,
    Managed Care: Health Maintenance Organization Ver. (053107) Page 23
    Coinsurance, benefit maximums, waiting periods or any other limitations on coverage for
    Required infertility benefits which are different from those imposed upon benefits for services
    Not related to infertility.” Please confirm that the carrier complies with this requirement.
    ______ According to 211 CMR 37.08(2), “[n]o insurer shall impose pre-existing condition exclusions or
    Pre-existing condition waiting periods on coverage for required infertility benefits. No insurer
    Shall use any prior diagnosis of or prior treatment for infertility as a basis for excluding, limiting
    Or otherwise restricting the availability of coverage for required infertility benefits.”
    Hormone Replacement Therapy and Contraceptive Services
    (Except contracts purchased by a subscriber that is a church

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

IVF and Adhesions [ 1 Answers ]

I am set to begin first round of IVF and am wondering what are my chances of success as I have adhesions from two previous operations. The RE thinks that I have a very good chance. However, I am still a bit skeptical.

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Mass [ 4 Answers ]

What mass of lead(II) nitrate is present in 20.0mL of a solution? See below. Two different lead(II) nitrate solutions are used, each sample is reacted with an excess quantity of a potassium iodide solution, which produces lead(II) iodide.

View more questions Search