Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmrball41 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Pot addiction
    I have been smoking pot for about 6 years now on and off. I tried quitting before but I always come back to it. When I don't have any pot I get really bad withdrawals even if its like a day without. I want to quit but I can't deal with the withdrawl again and I don't think my boyfriend wants to go through that again either. I also don't want to end up in rehab again. Any suggestions on getting clean and staying that way. And how to avoid withdrawl.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Hope the following sites are of some help to you.
    ----------------
    http://www.ma-online.org/
    What is MA Online?
    Marijuana Anonymous Online was created to be an internet resource for support, information and recovery from marijuana addiction. Marijuana Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share our experience, strength, and hope with each other that we may solve our common problem and help others to recover from pot addiction. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana. There are no dues or fees for membership. Our primary purpose is to stay free of marijuana and to help the marijuana addict who still suffers achieve the same freedom.
    Am I a marijuana addict?
    If you are unsure whether you have a pot problem, please click here and ask yourself these twelve simple questions.
    ----------------
    http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service.../marijuana.htm
    Are there short-term dangers of smoking marijuana?
    Discomforts associated with smoking marijuana include dry mouth, dry eyes, increased heart rate and visible signs of intoxication such as bloodshot eyes and puffy eyelids. Other problems include:

Impaired memory and ability to learn
    Difficulty thinking and problem solving
    Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
    Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
    Increased susceptibility to infections
    Dangerous impairment of driving skills. Studies show that it impairs braking time, attention to traffic signals and other driving behaviors.
    Cardiac problems for people with heart disease or high blood pressure, because marijuana increases the heart rate

It is virtually impossible to overdose from marijuana, which sets it apart from most drugs.

Are there long-term consequences to smoking marijuana?

Respiratory problems

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly can have many of the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. Persistent coughing, symptoms of bronchitis and more frequent chest colds are possible symptoms. There are over 400 chemicals that have been found in marijuana smoke. Benzyprene, a known human carcinogen, is present in marijuana smoke. Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide are 3 to 5 times higher than in cigarette smoke. This is most likely due to inhaling marijuana more deeply, holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Memory and learning
    Recent research shows that regular marijuana use compromises the ability to learn and to remember information by impairing the ability to focus, sustain, and shift attention. One study also found that long-term use reduces the ability to organize and integrate complex information.

In addition, marijuana impairs short-term memory and decreases motivation to accomplish tasks, even after the high is over. In one study, even small doses impaired the ability to recall words from a list seen 20 minutes earlier.

Fertility
    Long-term marijuana use suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system. For men, this can cause decreased sperm counts and very heavy users can experience erectile dysfunction. Women may experience irregular periods from heavy marijuana use. These problems would most likely result in a decreased ability to conceive but not lead to complete infertility.
    -----------------------------
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Quite honestly, you're the first person I've heard of that is addicted to spliff (ganja, weed, doobie, pot etc lol, depends on the country's slang).

That is so hectic, I honestly didn't know you could get addicted to weed... wow, shocker.
    Plinko Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Sep 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Smoking weed is a mental addiction. Unlike cigarettes which is a mental and chemical/physical addiction. I have smoked weed for about 2 years now. And I do it as much as I can. I could put this blunt out right now and stop smoking forever.. but why on earth would I do that? Im stuck here in this hell hole. Might as well enjoy everyday as much as you can..
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Hello cm:

I don't know what withdrawals you get. Nobody else get's 'em. I think you just don't want to quit. It's actually quite easy. In the 40 years or so that I've smoked, I've stopped numerous times with no ill effects at all - NONE.

I think you're fibbing.

excon

Sep 13, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I don't think your fibbing about your withdrawals.. but I do think your exaggerating a bit. When I can't smoke weed I start to get a little be itchy towards people. I wouldn't really call that a withdrawl though.. more of a child tantrum because I'm not getting what I want.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandNewCorpse
    who are you to say theyre lying?
    Hello New:

Me?? I'm just a guy who knows there is no such thing as pot withdrawal. Soooo, when somebody say's that's what they're having, they're fibbing.

That's just so.

excon
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandNewCorpse
    surely craving weed is a withdrawal?
    Hello again, New:

No it isn't. Puking your guts out because you don't have a drug IS withdrawal. Wanting to get high AIN'T even close.

excon

Sep 14, 2007, 12:38 AM
    If I'm forced to stop smoking pot I get anxiety. I also get pretty irritable. So.. I do believe there are withdrawals involved when quitting. But they are all mental. If anyone has ever experienced a physical withdrawl (besides not being high lol) from weed then let me know and that will be a first. If you WANT to quit then suck it up. Its really not that hard. I have a number of friends who have gotten busted over the past couple months and have been put on probation and stopped on a dime.

ps. Rehab for pot=a big waste of money and time.
    joe_jack23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Marijuana is not chemically addictive. Therefore, you have basically told yourself you need it. Because it makes you feel great. Its up to you 2 stop its not hard you just have to decide to

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sandblasting Pot [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that can tell me about sandblasters? I need to know how you go about running something other than sand through one. Do they have different tips for say, sand, soda and cob? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pot addiction [ 4 Answers ]

I'm addicted to pot. I have been for about two years now. I don't feel like it interferes with my life too much and that's probably why I have so much trouble quitting. I get board and fatigued and it seems like an easy solution. Is there any tips for quitting. I know I am capable of it but...

Is my boyfriend addicted to pot? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been together with my boyfriend for a year, and pot has been a major issue between us. I don't like the idea of him smoking at all. I've tried it a couple times, but it just made me depressed. I never want to smoke it and I wish that my boyfriend would stop. I've told him I want him to at...

Pot filler [ 6 Answers ]

How far off the cooktop do you install the pot filler

Crock Pot [ 2 Answers ]

How long can you keep the food in the crock pot on Warm? Can you put the Hot crock pot of food into the refrigerator?

View more questions Search