Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetvaughn4402 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Auto-Generate a number
    Hello. I am having an issue figuring out a way to go about this. Here's my scenario: The company I work for uses forms that we can put products, purchased by other companies for each order made. Each form has its own unique WT number. I've been assigned the task of making this form as an excel spreadsheet. Normally this project would not be an issue because I could create a database holding a table that would have an initial starting WT number. From there I could increment the number each time the excel spreadsheet is opened and display it on the new form and save the new number in the database. But this needs to be excel run and I am not familiar with Microsoft databases as I work with PHP/MySQL.
    So, is there a way I can read from a text file and then save the new number to that text file, and repeat the process. Or even have two spreadsheets within the same workbook that interact in that manner. Thanks a bunch
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    I'm confused. Are you doing a form that will be saved to a database? If so, what database? If you are just doing this in Excel, than use the increment method you mentioned.
    sweetvaughn4402 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
    No database. But I figure because I won't be using a database that there will be an issue. Every time someone opens up this template there need to be a new WT number. Without somewhere to save the last number used it won't work, because when someone opens the template up to input a new order the number won't be the correct (incremented) number, right? Thus every time someone opens the template for a new order then the WT is the same, I think. In other words, every time someone opens this template and inputs the order then saves it, it's a new data (ordernumxxxx.xls) thus the original template isn't updated so it can't increment the next time it is loaded. Is this correct? So maybe I can make a button on the template so when I push it the form gets the number from a text file or additional spreadsheet and displays it in a cell, and also updates the text file or sheet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
    If you are not saving the records in your Excel Workbook, then you do have to provide a method for saving the WT#. So Name a Cell in a different sheet or area WTNum. Set the WT# in the form to = the stored number + 1. Add a button to the form that will save the new number to the replace the stored one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan [ 3 Answers ]

To whom could lend some immediate advice, I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments. My current...

Cannot generate reports for Outlook 2003 Business Contact Manager [ 4 Answers ]

I use Outlook 2003 Business Contact Manager in my small business to track contacts and sales opportunities. Unfortunately I cannot get it to produce business reports - I keep getting the message : "The report could not be generated. Please try again" I have not found anything meaningful on...

Generate income [ 3 Answers ]

:-/I would like to know if and how sites such as the search engine IXQUICK.COM and napster and other sites that DO NOT have advertising on them generate money. A friend and I speculate that maybe Internet Service Providers pay them a certain amount of money for traffic that they generate, because...

View more questions Search