Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4thchild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Judgement from disability check
    I am receiving you s government civil service for disability I owe on some credit cards can an attorney get a judgement to get money out of my check
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Hello 4:

SS disability can NOT be levied against. I don't know if YOUR payments can be. They can certianly attach your bank account, so a direct deposit check would be vulnerable.

excon
    4thchild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Wouldn't a lawyer have to get a court order to attach your bank account and you will have to be notisfied in advance before that happen
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hello again, 4th:

Yes. You would have to be sued and lose. And, of course, they have to notify you.

Don't assume, however, that because these slime balls are supposed to do something, that they do it. IF they already have a judgment against you and you weren't notified, go back to the court that awarded them a judgment, and file a motion to overturn it due to faulty service.

excon

PS> (edited) If they ALREADY have a judgment, NO they don't have to notify you for using it. The judgment IS the court order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

VA disability benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can my VA disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt ?

Disability and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I need to declare bankruptcy and would like to know whether there are special clauses protecting me as a registered disabled person in Canada, i.e. whether my personal possessions and other items I own such as a car, furniture, piano, art materials (piano and art materials are used to earn a...

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search