Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elkershner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Pet Deposit Refund in CA.
    We purchased a home in CA that was being rented. We allowed the tenant to stay for two months. At the conclusion, we had to take care of deposit and pet deposit refund. The tenant left dog poop all over the back yard. Not having a dog, this was very irritating and we decided not to refund the $200. Were we too harsh?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 6, 2007, 10:07 AM
    That is a rather subjective question. I would say that you may have a hard time justifying your actions in small claims court. So, if you judge by that, it may well have been.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Hello elk:

Seems to me you could have hired some neighbor kid to pick it up for $50. I think THAT would have been a more reasonable sum to charge.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 10:59 AM
    It would have been reasonable to call the tenant and say he should clean up the poop. If he refused you can only charge him what it would cost you to have it pciked up, can't just pull a number out of thin air.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

How much of my deposit can be used for pet damage? [ 2 Answers ]

I rent in California and have been renting from the same person for the past four years. We have a deposit on our place, however, nothing was stipulated as to being, "pet" deposit. So if my dog has killed strips of grass from continued trampling, can she lay down new sod, and charge me for it? ...

Lease Pet Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Is the pet deposit separate from the security deposit and if so, what is the maximum amount that can be charged?

View more questions Search