Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 6, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Windows 2000 vs. Hardware IDs in Device Manager
    I've run into a little bump. A corrupt registry hive prevented windows from loading on a workstation I was assigned to work on. Did a ghost image, formatted, and reinstalled Windows 2000, with the appropriate Product Key (I love OEM stickers... it's nice to not have to hunt for the correct product key)

All the drivers are installed for this particular model of computer, as I had to download them 1 by 1 from the computer manufacturer because there is one stupid device in Device Manager showing up as no drivers installed.

The missing device is "PCI Serial Port" even though there is no serial interface PCI card installed. I tried going to the details tab on the properties of the device in Device Manager, but it's not there. I tried the set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1, no luck. Added it to environmental variables in system properties, no luck. Added it to the CurrentControlSet/blahblah/stuff, still nothing.

Does windows 2000 support the details tab in device manager?
    Can anyone recommend a free tool that can tell me the hardware ID of the device, so that I can find a correct driver for it?

Check out some similar questions!

Device manager - Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have the following PC combination: KOB810DSMT (100 FSB), Intel Celeron 633Mhz, 128MB Ram, 10GB HDD, WIN2K Prof with SP4. I have faced a peculiar problem with this unit In the device manager I find the following 2 problems: - PCI Communication Device - Unknown device. With Yellow Question...

Device manager [ 4 Answers ]

I know now a little about IRQs and DMAs but I'm having problems about what IOs do. Thank you

Device Manager - Hardware Not Uninstalling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2.8Ghz computer running Windows XP, I have decided to set up a network and so I need to change my Cable modem from its current USB connection to a Ethernet connection in order to set up the network. However, when I go to Device Manager to uninstall the USB modem, it says: "Failed to...

Device Manager - Modem Not Uninstalling [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2.8Ghz computer running Windows XP, I have decided to set up a network and so I need to change my Cable modem from its current USB connection to a Ethernet connection in order to set up the network. However, when I go to Device Manager to uninstall the USB modem, it says: "Failed to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.