Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mortishka Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Sep 6, 2007, 07:01 AM
    I don't want to live with my dad and stepmom anymore
    Hello, my name is Kaylee and I’m 16.

I was born in August of 1991. My brother was born in July of 1992, which is when my parents got divorced.

We lived in Seattle at the time.

Now we live in Oklahoma.

My dad doesn’t want me living with my mom because he says that she couldn’t be a parent even if she tried. Well, she got remarried eight years ago and had a boy and a girl… and they are doing fine. He never gave her a chance to be my parent!

I don’t know what to do.

I want to live with my mom but my dad has custody over me. What can I do? Where do I turn to?
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Unfortunately for you, have a stuff all rights until you become an adult (im not sure on the age in the US, south africa its 18). Unless you can prove your father is unfit to be your custodian, there isn't much you can do afraid.

Call one of those child help line things, or even ask a lawyer - they might be able to help you out.

Regards,
    Sebastien
    p.s [i stand open to correction anyone]
    proudmother1020 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mortishka
    Hello, my name is Kaylee and I’m 16.

I was born in August of 1991. My brother was born in July of 1992, which is when my parents got divorced.

We lived in Seattle at the time.

Now we live in Oklahoma.

My dad doesn’t want me living with my mom because he says that she couldn’t be a parent even if she tried. Well, she got remarried eight years ago and had a boy and a girl… and they are doing fine. He never gave her a chance to be my parent!

I don’t know what to do.

I want to live with my mom but my dad has custody over me. What can I do? Where do I turn to?
    At 17 you can divorce your parents.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by proudmother1020
    at 17 you can divorce your parents.
    WHAT:eek: I think her parents are divorced:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
    You need to get your mom to petition family court to modify the custody arrangement. She needs to get a lawyer to do this who will advise her where she has to file.

The court will listen to your desires but will make a decision based on law and the your best interests as it determines them.
    mortishka Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Sep 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
    ScottGem... yes, it helped a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

Can stepmom keep my son every other week while his dad is overseas? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I have shared custody and our son spends one week with each of us, changing every Friday. He is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 6 months and he wants the custody rotation to stay the same, even though he won't even be here. He wants his wife, my son's stepmom, to have him...

If dad dies, does stepmom get 100% of the house in CA? [ 4 Answers ]

My dad has 4 daughters. 2 are from a prior relationship (me and my sister) and two are from his current wife, my stepmom. My dad is 16 years older than my stepmom and I feel that he might die before her. If he passes away, does my stepmom get the house? What about me and my sister (her...

I can't live here anymore! [ 4 Answers ]

Well it all started when my parents got divorced a year and a half ago. My mom found out last summer that I had, had sex for the first time with one of my friends and all hell broke lose I guess.She told my dad who is in iraq right now and he was really calm about it no yelling at at. But my mom is...

Don't know who I am anymore [ 3 Answers ]

I recently went through a pretty messy breakup, firstly I'm 17 and just finished year 12 and am in the transition into workig life and university and this breakup has really messed with my head of a lot of things. One thing I've found is that I really can't let go, at first I thought it was because...

View more questions Search