Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shemilo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Mosquito in a car ?
    OK... this question does not have a specific topic... anyway...
    Why is it that if a mosquito or a fly in a moving vehicle or elevator always stay in the enclosed space, suspended in the air and do not collide with the walls enclosing it?? :confused:
    Well maybe I'm really dumb :p
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Because the air is also moving at the same speed as the car. The fly or mossie will hit the glass, land on the dash, etc because it is moving in that air. If you open the window and the fly goes outside the enclosed space it will not be next to the car for very long (unless you are driving at 1 or 2 mph in traffic)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 06:20 AM
    ANother example of this phenomenon: it is not unusual to see a fly buzzing around the cabin of a jet liner which may itself be traveling at 600 MPH. Next time you're on a plane, try tossing a ball or small object up in the air - note that it doesn't go crashing towards the back of the plane at 600 MPH but rather just falls back into your lap exactly as if you were seated in your stationary living room at home.

The reason why this works is a concept called "inertia," which says that objects that are moving will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed unless some external force acts upon it. In the case of the mosquito in the car, once it (and you) are traveling at 60 MPH relative to the road in the enclosed car there is no force acting to slow it (or you) down, and consequently you each perceive each other as being stationary. Another interpretation of this phenomenon comes from Galileo, who determined that all motions are relative - that is, there is no such thing as an absolute velocity. Hence if the car is moving at 60MPH relative to the road, as far as the occupants of the car are concerned they may as well be stationary and the rest of the world is moving at 60 MPH in the opposite direction.

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mosquito bites:( [ 9 Answers ]

How long do mosquito bites take to go away, and or, how can I make them go away more quick? I've got very very big mosquito bites(dime size) is that normal?

Mosquito eater [ 1 Answers ]

What is a mosquito eater?

Mosquito bites [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know of anything besides DEET, that will prevent mosquito bites. I hate putting pesticide on my skin, but nothing seems to work. Thanks. Cindy

Mosquito Magnet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone own a Mosquito Magnet and is it worth it? I have a 5 acres lot and my backyard is a plantation of pine trees. So yes there is a lot of mosquitos my family loves the outdoor but we are invaded by mosquitos so we keep ourselves indoors. Any suggestions Thanks in advance.

Mosquito bites or bed bugs? [ 6 Answers ]

?? I need advice! Two weeks ago I was at a picnic and seemed to notice a lot of knats around. Two days after the picnic I discovered over 20 bites on my legs which I had an allergic reaction to. Most of both legs were pink, swolen, and hot to the touch. The bites became the size of quarters. ...

View more questions Search