Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwgask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Convert three way switch to regular
    I have a three way switch on a fixture and want to replace the switch with a timer / switch. The only timers that I saw were for regular switches not three way switches. Short of going out and finding a timer for a three way switch, is there any way to install the regular timer, by converting the switch to a regular switch since I really do not care to have a three way switch?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
    Here is a diagram to look at: Three way switch description

Remove one of the wires on A or B and put a wirenut on it.
    Put the remaining two wires on the timer.
    If it doesn't work, toggle the other switch.

If the position of the other switch doesn't correspond to UP=ON, then cap off B if you used A or cap off A if you used B. The other switch can be used as an enable.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:39 AM
    You could have 3 way AND timer. One of the 3 way switches goes to light. That will go to timer as well as a hot from the other three way. Your timer will override the 3 ways. To turn off, a three way would have to switch off as well as timer/switch expired or off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion sensor and regular switch in same circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I have a very large room that has entrances at both ends. Both entrances get about the same amount of traffic but it is mostly pass-through traffic. One end needs to be motion sensored as flipping a switch may not always be practical. What I want to do is have a regular switch at one end and a...

Regular outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Can an outlet go bad just a regular outlet the reason I'm asking is the I plugged in my miter saw in the garage and I heard a weird sound and off it went checked the breaker the breaker works but never tripped off, plus now I don't have any light in the Hallway and the outside post, probably all...

Convert a lamp to work on a "hot" switch via pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

My builder wired a light in an arch way with a "hot" outlet. We put our pool table underneath the archway and now need to add a pool table lamp fixture. All the ones I can find require a light switch. Because the archway if solid wood there was no way to wire it to a switch so the builder told...

Regular period? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for all who go to this site I had my last periods on July 30 and my periods are not due until 28 to 30 me and hubby has been trying to get a baby and finally this month I got bleeding at 24 which was very different from the usual kind of periods and a mild discomfort I just wanted...

View more questions Search