Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbyh Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Setting a toilet on a crooked pipe
    I am about to install a toilet in my basment. But the PVC waste pipe coming up through the concrete and subfloor is not perfectly level... it is cocked just a bit. Its not coming out at a 45-degree angle or anything... just slightly off perpendicular.

I imagine (hope) that once I cement the flange there will be some play in the ring that bolts to the toilet and this will help keep it level to the tile floor (am I correct here?). Of course I could cement the flange to the wastepipe slightly crooked and hope that the pvc cement seals the pipe (bad idea?).

Thank you!

Robby
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyh
    I am about to install a toilet in my basment. But the PVC waste pipe coming up through the concrete and subfloor is not perfectly level...it is cocked just a bit. Its not coming out at a 45-degree angle or anything...just slightly off perpendicular.

I imagine (hope) that once I cement the flange there will be some play in the ring that bolts to the toilet and this will help keep it level to the tile floor (am I correct here?). Of course I could cement the flange to the wastepipe slightly crooked and hope that the pvc cement seals the pipe (bad idea?).

Thank you!

robby

Hi Robby,
    What's "slightly off perpendicular" mean? If you were to mount/glue a flange on the stub up how cocked would the flange be? Once you cement the flange that's it. No play and if it's a PVC or ABS flange and you attempt to level it up by cranking down on the closet bolts you'll just break the slots in the flange. I guess my answer will have to wait until you tell me how much one side of the flange will be off the floor after it's glued it. Don't glue anything until you answer because if the flange's cocked too much I have options. Regards, Tom

Sep 12, 2005, 04:58 PM
    Tom - thank you for the fast reply!

I put a level to the stub up and it appears it will be off approx. 1/4 inch on one side... the other side should lay flush on the tile.

Thank you again.

Robby
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2005, 06:08 AM
    Tom - thank you for the fast reply!

I put a level to the stub up and it appears it will be off approx. 1/4 inch on one side...the other side should lay flush on the tile.

Thank you again.

robby
    Hey Robby,

1/4" isn't so much. I believe I'd cut the stub-up level with the tile and then glue in a PVC flange using a plastic insert and a screw tie down the side of the flange that's cocked to the floor making a level flange to set the toilet on. Let me know how that works for you? Cheers, Tom

Sep 13, 2005, 07:22 AM
    Thanks again Tom,

I need to clarify a few things... I am a novice but willing to give it a go!

1. The pvc flange I have currently goes over the stub-up pipe rather than inserting into it. Do all flanges work this way or should I look for a flange that actually inserts into the pipe rather than over it?

2. The stub-up already sits below the finished floor so cutting this level to the tile is no longer possible. Now, if I dry fit the flange that I have it appears that it will rest on the finished floor once I push it down tight.

Robby
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Thanks again Tom,

I need to clarify a few things...I am a novice but willing to give it a go!

1. The pvc flange I have currently goes over the stub-up pipe rather than inserting into it. Do all flanges work this way or should I look for a flange that actually inserts into the pipe rather than over it?

2. The stub-up already sits below the finished floor so cutting this level to the tile is no longer possible. Now, if I dry fit the flange that I have it appears that it will rest on the finished floor once I push it down tight.

robby

They make both inside and outside flanges. If your flange fits over the stub-up and is gluable then glue it in. You can always screw it down to the tile if it's still a little cocked. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drain pipe broken! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband removed a toilet today, it was leaking sewage on the floor and into the other room. When we pulled the toilet off, we knew why. The flange came with the toilet when we pulled it off along with some of the drain pipe. Clearly the pipe has been broken for some time. The flange was almost...

Extending pipe under toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently moved into a townhouse and wanted to fix it up a little by installing laminate floors in my bathroom. I currently have linoleum on my floors and figured that once I replaced the linoleum with the laminate it may shorten the pipe underneath of my toilet. Is it possible for me to...

PVC pipe leak from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Help.. My wife and I bought our first house 5 months ago. We are not used to living in a home with 2 floors and a basement. So, the toilet on the upper floor started leaking a few drops a minute, so it is not serious yet:). The drops are forming on the elbow joint of the PVC pipe in the...

Dach Russell with crooked front legs [ 1 Answers ]

Our 2 year old Dacshound and Jack Russell cross is doing well, healthy, energetic, and fun. What has us concerned is that his front legs are so bowlegged and turned out to such a degree that his feet turn completely sideways... in ballet it would be first position. He doesn't seem to have a problem...

Toilet Pipe Run [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I'm installing a toilet/lav/shower in my basement. My question is... Can I sit the toilet flange directly on top of a 4" 90 degree closet bend PVC fitting? This fitting has only one hub, which will connect to a 4" PVC at 1/4" per foot over 3.5 feet and tie into a cast iron tee fitting on...

View more questions Search