Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emcdermo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on
    I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year.

They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on.

BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I owe them $3,383.

Should they be subtracting the Net Bonus, if I'm not actually getting paid that amount? I don't understand why I'm being taxed on money I'm not paid?

What should I do? It seems like it would be better if I kept these transaction completekly separate.
    Can I have them capture the -$5,000 in my W2s? If not, what documentation do I need at tax time to get this captured.

Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
    The bonus payback should be reflected on your end-of-year W-2.

It should also be reflected on your final check stub.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign on Bonus [ 2 Answers ]

Should my Sign on Bonus be taxed in the check or should I take care of it myself at the end of the year?

Sign On Bonus [ 1 Answers ]

How do I ask or negoiate a sign on bonus?

Repayment of Sign On Bonus [ 1 Answers ]

I received a $5,000 sign on bonus. With taxes and everything taken out I received $2872.50. I haven't cashed the check and will be returning it within a month or so of my hire date, which is still in the same fiscal calendar year. My question is this do I have to pay back the $5,000 or can I just...

Sign-on Bonus Confusion [ 1 Answers ]

I ask this questions since I've seen similar questions in this forum. My wife received a sign-on bonus directly out of college, but left the job within 6 months (due to an inhospitable work environment.) She has several thousand left to repay as she was required to stay at the job for three...

What to do with a Sign-on-bonus [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have my sign on bonus given for 2006 tax year even though I started working January 8th, 2007? I don't like how my $5000 sign on bonus reads: 10% simple interest if I do not stay 3 years, payable upon termination, and that if they took me to court I may have to pay their court costs. I...

View more questions Search