Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MayfairLady Posts: 147, Reputation: 23

Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Speaking in public
    Hello all, I have to do a reading at my sisters wedding next week and had the practice run tonight. This is a real challenge for me and I want to do well for my sister. I am generally nervous in such situations and during the practice run was very tense and found breathing and being natural difficult. I am thinking that when the full congregation is there and everything I will be a complete wreck!! Please Please Please has anyone any helpful tips on reading/speaking in public, how to relax and reduce nervousness!! Thanks
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
    One word: Scotch.

Hehe, works every time for me. But, in all seriousness, I have found that the more I practice the better I feel when it comes time to give a speech in public. So, my suggestion is just to practice several more times, and I think you'll probably begin feeling better.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Hold a small object in your hand to channel your nervous energy.
    Pick 3 points throughout the room and focus on them alternately.
    Give value. Base your speech on 2 or 3 main points. Your audience will not remember every little detail you tell them. They'll be satisfied if they leave with something they can use, and that is what public speaking is all about.
    Relax. Don't pressure yourself to be perfect. Your audience doesn't expect you to be. They want you to succeed just as much as you do. Release nervousness by shooting down all your anxious thoughts. If you're thinking you'll forget everything, remind yourself that you are prepared and knowledgeable. Visualize yourself doing well.
    Know your audience. Tailor your message for the group you are speaking to. Depends on the audience and topic, a sense of humor can be a plus.

The last, SMILE, like this :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
    What will you be reading? How long is it? (The time will go by like magic when you read at the wedding.)

Be very familiar with what you are going to read.

Remember, you are doing this to enhance your sister's wedding. You are bringing delight and joy into everyone's life. People will be eager to hear this. Speak slowly and with color in your voice. Sound interesting. Look happy (yaaaaaaayy, sissy's getting married!! ).

If all else fails, imagine the congregation dressed only in their underwear.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
    I used I Cor. 13 in my wedding too. It's a beautiful passage.

I'll betcha most people in the congregation are very familiar with it, so when you look up at them, you will see smiles and people moving their lips along with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking Practice [ 2 Answers ]

Dose any one know of any places or clubs that can help refine my public speaking skills Thanks PB

Speaking in tongues? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm just new to this topic and I actually believe that I know how to speak in tongues in the personal sense but not in a corpral way. I asked a friend of mind about how you can tell the difference and what the purposes are, she said that one is for personal and another is for someone else. Although...

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

View more questions Search