Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snehal_rana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Application for ITAX Id on H4
    Hi,

I have recently come(1 month back) on H1 along with my wife who is on H4 visa. I wanted to open a bank account with one of the credit union. I wanted to add my wife as a joint account holder. Since she doesn't have SSN, the bank requested to produce some identification. She doesn't have driving license also. So my employer asked the bank if they will accept tax id to have her as joint account holder and they were fine with that. They gave a letter of purpose to apply for tax id to IRS. She went to IRS today and they said that she has to apply along with my tax return. She produced the letter from social security office also. After seeing that they gave her W-7 but they said she may not get the tax id. Can she apply for tax id before I file my return. Is there any other supporting form that she needs to fill up to apply for tax id. Also I have not applied for ITIN.

If I have to fill W7, which reason I have to select for Reason to submit Form W-7.

BTW I am from India.

Regards,

Snehal Rana
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Cite (Needed for joint banking account) and attach the letter from the credit union. That should get her the ITIN.

If not, you will need to wait until you file to get her ITIN.
    snehal_rana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snehal_rana
    Hi,

I have recently come(1 month back) on H1 along with my wife who is on H4 visa. I wanted to open a bank account with one of the credit union. I wanted to add my wife as a joint account holder. Since she doesnt have SSN, the bank requested to produce some identification. She doesnt have driving license also. So my employer asked the bank if they will accept tax id to have her as joint account holder and they were fine with that. They gave a letter of purpose to apply for tax id to IRS. She went to IRS today and they said that she has to apply along with my tax return. She produced the letter from social security office also. After seeing that they gave her W-7 but they said she may not get the tax id. Can she apply for tax id before i file my return. Is there any other supporting form that she needs to fill up to apply for tax id. Also i have not applied for ITIN.

If i have to fill W7, which reason i have to select for Reason to submit Form W-7.

BTW I am from India.

Regards,

Snehal Rana
    Cite (Needed for joint banking account) - didn't understand what u want to say with this
    ITIN-Savvy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 02:09 PM
    On the reason code, check box H. Other. List "Exception 1" on the line. Attach the letter from the bank stating that an interest bearing bank account is being opened with her name on the account and an ITIN is required for tax purposes. Be sure to included a notarized copy of her passport, or two other forms of valid id to prove her identity. Her number can also be assigned by sending the w-7 form with your tax return, as your spouse (reason box E). Br sure to include the id either way.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Well said!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application to Accelerate? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend got a deffered sentence for burglary of an automobile and is on probation. At the beginning of his probation he failed a few UAs but then got completely clean and hasn't failed one since. His probation officer has changed 3 times and the most recent one he got put out a warrant for his...

Application to accelerate & application to revoke [ 14 Answers ]

Application to accelerate and application to revoke? What are the different. :cool:

Win32 application? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello... I recently attempted to download a game for my PC. I think it's called "Army America Demo, and after the file transfer completed 99% it failed for some reason. No problem, right? I can just delete it and try again, you know? Wrong! It won't let me delete part of it. When I click on the...

About Visa Application [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to join INSEAD for pursuing my MBA. INSEAD has got two campuses one in France and one in Singapore. I will be first joining Singapore campus and for two months or so in between will be joining French campus. I wish to know that when I will be moving from Singapore to France whether I...

View more questions Search