Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 5, 2007, 12:26 PM
    So stressful (Tons of homework and more)
    I am a sophomore at high and already on the second day I have so much homework. This isn't the problem though. I'll do my best to not swear or say anything bad.

I am currently taking:

Finance
    AP History
    Spanish 3
    Honors English
    Acc Advanced Algebra 2
    Honors Chemistry

My problem is I don't want to do Honors English, my mom signed me and faked my signature.

I have tried to get it changed for months but they said they couldn't do anything about it until the first day of school.

On the first day I went to my councilor and I told her and she had my mom write a letter.

It took me 3 hours to get it by fighting for 3 hours

Then the Vice Principle makes me wait a hour to tell me and I can't switch out.

He said I made a commitment and that I have to switch out at the end of the semester.

I am already stressed out with all the other classes. I can't handle one more, if I have to do them all I'm going to run away from this place and never return. I am truly working my hardest but I'm not that smart. It takes me a long time to do something when it takes someone else 5 min.

My mom chooses all of my classes it and I can't take it anymore, its taking everything in my to not through this computer at the window.

I tried to tell my mom that I have a lot of problems already and I won't be abe to handle all this and if I have too, I'm just going to end everything.

She just chuckled and said I'm immature. Because I never planned to do the class I never did a big project during the summer.

I mean I was told I could leave the class. The VP said I can have a later date to turn the project in but its not the project or grade I care about.

I simply just can't handle the class, I mean ill do the project to get out of the class.

Just for 3 classes of homework, last night I had 5 hours of homework. I don't no if that seems like nothing to most of you, but I have never had home for the past 4 years. I always worked hard to get it done in class. I struggle a lot in English and Science and when I finally get those grades up I am forced to take all these much harder classes.

My mom always tells everyone about how my sister is so smart and I tell her I'm sorry I'm not her and she just laughs.

She never takes anything serious I say.

I just want to get out of honors class, its not like I'm taking gym or anything.

If I can't get out I'm going to do some dangerous. I am so mad right now, I'm not really asking a question here I just need to vent since no one else would listen.

I ripped up my english homework, he's making us write a big essay tomorrow and I won't be able to do it now without the thing I had to read. I don't care if I fail this and my life is screwed up I don't plan on being around much longer. I use to get all d's and f's and I was happy then and I'm going to be happy again or I'm not going to feel any emotions.

I'd go run as far as I could if I didn't have a lot of homework. If this problem isn't solved then I'm just going to go tell my mom "Thanks for messing up my life" and then ill be gone. And I'd never go back, ill go live behind kmarts for all I care.

It's a good thing my family doesn't have a gun, else I wouldn't be talking right now.

Im going to talk to this VP again. I can't tell him how I feel because then he'll have me talk to someone and then ill be more messed up.

Sorry again, I know there is no question I just needed to say this.

I guess ill start my homework.

Im so afraid that my brother will come in and be his stupid self making fun of me for not taking his easy classes and I will probably beat him up a lot worse than just brother fights.

Before I was typing this I got my paintball gun of full velocity to shoot him with it when he comes in. That will probably make me happy.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Aww sweetie it's not as bad as you think!

You can still get out of the class I'm sure, I don't know a thing about American school but you can always not turn up to the classes.

This isn't worth your life. It isn't even your life it's a moment, it'll pass.

The trick with homework is doing it as you get it prioritize as well, know when to give up. I always have a cut of point where effort outweighs gain. It keeps me sane. I'm at uni so it's not as stupid as it sounds.

Have you tried hitting a pillow yet? Great for frustration, go beat the c**p out of a pillow. It'll make you feel a bit better. Or some sort of soft toy they have faces so it seems crueller and more fun. Go stick Numb on by Linkin Park and scream along :) Then Teenagers by MCR. OK I'm starting to make a good playlist in my head now...

Music is what got me through the late nights of maths and physics homework when I was your age. I used to work 5 till the early hours. It sucks but it's not forever. Get it done get the grades and then get out. You get the grades and then you have choices, that's why your mum's pushing you. Working for Walmart stacking shelves fine but it's good to know you can change and do what you want instead of being trapped.

Hope your OK, I always like to read your posts.
    And remember this is not forever it is just for a short while.
    Stick it out things will get better
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
    All right Sgt, you have put yourself on report. It is obvious by this well thought out and fairly grammatically correct rant that you are completely capable of writing an essay.

It sucks getting conned into a class you don't like and aren't particularly good in - that happened to me but it was a job. I was stuck in a job I hated and couldn't walk away. You know what I did? I sucked it up and made the best of it until I could get out.

Break your tasks down into manageable pieces. If you are accustomed to no homework, then 5 hours is going to be a shocker, I agree. You can do it - if you decide you can. If you decide you are incapable and want to wallow in rage over it, you can do that, too, but it will be your grades that suffer.

Try again to talk to your counselor and tell them you are overloaded and need help. Keep telling them - even if you have to make an appointment every day. They will eventually get the drift.

You can do this.

Sep 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
    My mom in way wants me to do good probably so I can pay off her bills.

I told her once that I would commit suicide and she did her stupid little sarcasm laugh and just says I'm crazy.

I worked so hard to get A's. I have always had a hard time reading and when it comes to books I may have to read something 10 times to catch on and when I have to read 20 history pages (And these pages are huge) I can't do it. I have no clue what is even going on. History was my favorite class but its getting less and less. And now I have all these hard classes.

And it is so annoying always hereing "You can do better, you can do better, you can do better". When I honestly cant, I am doing the best I can and its only the second day, what happens when I get a lot more homework? I hate the school too, its my first year there and its horrible. You have six minutes to get from class to class. Seems long enough right? No. I can't even get to my locker in 6 minutes. They have too much students, because the district is so broke schools are shuting down and such. I know its not just me but for some reason I'm the one that gets yelled at if I'm late or get lost. Im use to schools with 400 people or less not 2500. This isn't worth it, and then what happens if I don't get the job I want? Then this is all a waste. I already plan to join the miliitary. My hardwork can be useful and I can be doing something fun. And I'm not ignorrant about the military. I no how many people die daily but I don't really care.

Sorry about spelling by the way I'm to mad to do spell checking and my key's keep on sticking so some letters aren't working.

And I have those songs and listen to all my songs daily, with out it I would be way worse.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Sgt, I'm on your side. I'd adopt you if I could.

You ARE a good writer and express your thoughts well.

Why didn't that letter from your mother make any difference to the vice principal or principal? Wasn't that the whole point? - the explanation letter would allow you to drop the class??

Don't do anything foolish. You're a cool guy whose posts I enjoy reading. Keep after them to let you drop that class.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Alright Sgt, you have put yourself on report. It is obvious by this well thought out and fairly grammatically correct rant that you are completely capable of writing an essay.

It sucks getting conned into a class you don't like and aren't particularly good in - that happened to me but it was a job. I was stuck in a job I hated and couldn't walk away. You know what I did? I sucked it up and made the best of it until I could get out.

Break your tasks down into manageable pieces. If you are accustomed to no homework, then 5 hours is going to be a shocker, I agree. You can do it - if you decide you can. If you decide you are incapable and want to wallow in rage over it, you can do that, too, but it will be your grades that suffer.

Try again to talk to your counselor and tell them you are overloaded and need help. Keep telling them - even if you have to make an appointment every day. They will eventually get the drift.

You can do this.

It's not the essays', it is the class overall. The only reason I can type somewhat well is because my old teacher would help me and go through things a couple times with me.

I have all this reading to do in Chem and History it is crazy. It's like reading a foreign language and I know how that is because I'm in Spanish 3.

I am doing chemistry homework now and I'm stuck on problem 1 which has taken me 15 minutes to just get a basic understanding. I have a quiz on it tomorrow and I don't even know what it is talking about.

I hate failing assignments without doing it on purpose.

My grades are going to suffer anyway, it does not matter how hard I try. If I go to college that would look worse than taking normal classes. And they are probably worse than my VP so ill be stuck going to some local college when the basic people get to go to any college they want.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Sgt, I'm on your side. I'd adopt you if I could.

You ARE a good writer and express your thoughts well.

Why didn't that letter from your mother make any difference to the vice principal or principal? Wasn't that the whole point? - the explanation letter would allow you to drop the class????

Don't do anything foolish. You're a cool guy whose posts I enjoy reading. Keep after them to let you drop that class.

My councilor said if I could get that letter she could get me into English 10, but then the VP comes and tells me once he gets the letter (I don't know why he has it... ) that I can't drop out. I couldn't even ask why, his answer was "No." and what's worse is he made me miss Chem for that.

He said that once you sign up for a honor class, you stuck in it. I didn't sign up, my mom did, I didn't make any commitment, even though he kept throwing that at me.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Doing something fun isn't what it is always like when you get out of school, though. I think going into the military is a great idea for young men. My husband went in right out of high school. He just retired last year.

You are unhappy about your class schedule and to prove it to everyone you are setting yourself up to fail. If you are having trouble comprehending what you are reading then you need to change your approach. Try reading out loud. When I have a tough subject (statitics was my trouble area) I would read out loud just like in grade school. Hearing it seemed to make more sense that reading it. Or after each section write a short review of what you just read that makes sense to you. I have found if I go to the store without making a list I forget half of what I want - however if I write a list, even if I leave it behind, I will remember everything on it. You have to figure out what works best for you.

I don't want to shock you, but there are classes and tests in the Armed Services, too.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    My councilor said if i could get that letter she could get me into English 10?
    Talk to your counselor again. He/She will intervene. YOU didn't sign up for the class; your mom did. I think SHE should take the class and report in to us every Friday.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
    I was in a large school and couldn't get to my locker between classes. You should just carry around all the stuff you need for the day. Organise yourself with some other people so that you can share heavy textbooks, you have half the days stuff they have the other.

Teachers always shout whatever so just block them out.

You are just suffering from a bit of culture shock, It'll get better.

As long as you know you are doing your best that is all that matters. But don't just flunk everything because you want to join the military. Get the best grades you can, there are a lot of opportunities in the military and many of them will require some academic achievement. You should totally go for it if it is what you want to do. Try and aim for a commission (have I said this to you before or was it someone else? I don't recall anymore)

Reach for the stars and even if you don't make it at least you are out of the gutter.

Hard work is never wasted.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
    I don't think the military will take you without a high school diploma. They don't like GEDs either.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
    What is a GED? And I know, I am going to get my diploma but I am not going to take all these hard classes for a job that I use to want and probably wouldn't be able to get.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
    If you're having probs with the chem go stick it up in the science section and I'll have a look if you want
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
    GED = General Education Diploma

My sister in law got one and she is an MP in the US Army in Iraq

What is your job aspiration, Sgt?

Sep 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
    I got past the hard questions now I'm easy questions from last year or the year before. I can't imagine what it will be like when review is officially over.

And my books weigh more than me, then every teacher has to have their own binder because they are stupid. And because I am taking all these classes I hardly know anyone in my classes. I only know a couple people as only a small amount of people graduated from junior high with me because of the small student count.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
    It was to be something in the government most likely the FBI or CIA but it seems to have faded away. Now I am thinking about joining the marines because being in a office or going to college really is not for me. I can't deal with 2 days into a high school, and college will be worse. I share common interested in the government and marines because I believe in nationalism and the history of the U.S. So I figure maybe I can do something to be a part of history and help protect others who aren't so messed up.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Find some study partners. Ask for help and keep nagging the counselor. BTW, you might find the homework takes less time if you stop farting around with us here at the AMHD forum.

Don't let this make you hurt yourself, though.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    ... going to college really is not for me. I can't deal with 2 days into a high school, and college will be worse.
    Actually I found it got easier as there were less subject and they were more what I was capable of. Also you get more control of your time and can organise yourself rather than running by someone else's schedule.

Anyway Emland was right stop procrastinating!

Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Im not trying to delay doing it, It's impossible to stare at these pages for longer than a minute for me. I think I could understand Japanese better. I finally got Chem done, to bad I'm going to fail the quiz tomorrow and then most likely the one on Friday. Now its History time which with all their big words ill be lost.

And my mom made an appointment with the VP as my brother wants to get out of Honors English even though he is taking all the easy classes and isn't forced into anything.

I told my mom I'm coming too so I wonder how that will go.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
    College wasn't for me either... I went for a semester, I was going for IT. I managed to drop out after 1 semester (I dropped between semesters... just didn't sign up for any classse the next one).

I know honors classes suck, but if it's anything like my high school was, it doesn't really matter what you get in the class. Since it was an AP class (we had AP, not honors), our GPA was always one point higher than what we got, so even if you got a D, it still came up as a C on your GPA. The biggest part was basically, you don't have to take the AP exam at the end of the year. You can take it if you want to, and if you score high enough, you'll get college credit.

I would say, if you really don't want to be in there, you can try to get out of it, but it doesn't really hurt just to let your teacher know that you don't want to be in there, and that you won't be focusing that much attention on the class. If you tell her/him that, they will probably either help you get out of the class, or take it easier on you, and just help you get a passing grade. That's what I would do, at least, if I were a teacher in that situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many tons of pea gravel... [ 6 Answers ]

do you need to fill a 30x35 area to a depth of 7 inches? And 9 inches? Or how would I figure it out?

Tons vs. Yards [ 4 Answers ]

How many tons r in a yard or vice versa

Running tons, not losing weight [ 1 Answers ]

I have been running for about 2 years now 4-5 times a week about 6 miles a day. I'm not fat by any means but there is still a little extra I would like to remove from around my mid-section and let me tell you those few extra pounds are stubborn! I eat pretty healthy I even cut out fancy coffee...

Cubc yard to tons conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the "average" cy to ton conversion factors for the following items: Sand? class II AB? pea gravel? Thanks, Jeff

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search