Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Do NOT CALL. You need to request verification in writing ONLY! If you call, these people can be slick and might get you into a situation where you acknowledge the debt. All contact with them should be in writing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Hello again, brenda:

There is a widely known collection bottom feeder named Certegy Financial Services. I'll bet that's who you're dealing with. They're the scumbags who bought the debt from whomever you originally had it with. Whether it's on your credit report or not makes no difference. The credit bureaus don't know EVERYTHING.

My guess is, that you had a period when you didn't pay some credit cards. Otherwise, you'd KNOW if the debt was valid. Therefore, since there was this period in your life where you didn't pay your bills, and you have a collection agent SOB telling you that you have an unpaid debt from that time, I would say that this IS your debt.

So... Let's get verification off the table. Unless of course, you want to go to court. I'm not telling you not to. I just think you'll lose. And, if you lose in court, you'll lose a whole lot more than you could settle for.

So, if you're going to settle, then do that. Keep in mind that the sorry piece of crap collection agent only paid probably $.10 on the dollar. So, if you begin your negotiations with $.25 on the dollar, I'll bet you can settle it for HALF, or less.

Since it's NOT on your credit report, make sure that part of your negotiations includes the provisions that they NOT report it to the bureaus. Don't send them a nickel until you have the offer and acceptance in writing.

excon

Sep 6, 2007, 12:21 PM
    While excon is correct that they will probably settle for a lot less than the face amount, that would have to be a lump sum payment. If you can't make a lump sum, they will want a much larger settlement.
    brendastarr63 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Ok thanks for all your help. I will write the law office and find out what the original acct is, where the total amount came from and ask them maybe to prove who owns the acct? Then ask them to contact me in writing of a settlement? What do you think? Thanks for your help. I looked up credigy recievables online and every post says they are jerks trying to collect bad debts, and yes years ago we fell into some money issues and got over our heads and this could be one old card I couldn't pay. The thing I don't understand is why didn't the law office write me and try to settle this before they sent out a complaint? Thanks again for all your oppinions... this will be my last post as after I hear back from you I will place a letter to the law office. Do you know if I still have to answer the clerk? Do I answer the clerk and say I am settling with the law office outside court? Please let me know asap if you can... I need to get those j**** off a letter today!!

Sep 7, 2007, 07:59 AM
    When you broach the issue of a settlement qualify it.

If you can prove to me that this is an account I opened and that you are entitled to collect on it, then I would consider negotiating a settlement.

You do not want to acknowledge the debt until they prove it.

Sep 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
    OK thanks so much... Can I send the same letter to the clerk or just wait until Monday when the law office receives my letter? Should I send along with the letter a copy of the complaint which was served?

Sep 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
    You can copy the clerk on your correspondence.

Sep 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Do you mean send the clerk a copy of the letter I am sending today or just wait till I hear back? And should I send the copy of complaint with the letter? Sorry for all the questions

Sep 7, 2007, 09:48 AM
    You send the clerk a notice of your Intent to Defend. You can copy the clerk in on any correspondence you have with the creditor requesting verification of the debt.

Sep 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Thanks for all your help... both parties have received their responses. How long will it take to hear anything? A week? 2? Thanks for your time... :)
    sunny07 Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Sep 15, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brendastarr63
    Thanks for all your help....both parties have recieved their responses. How long will it take to hear anything? A week? 2? Thanks for your time..... :)
    Brendastarr, I would very much appreciate your continue postings as to how your case is going. I've been served with summons on the 13th and trying to find out what I am supposed to do with it.

Sep 16, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny07
    Brendastarr, I would very much appreciate your continue postings as to how your case is going. I've been served with summons on the 13th and trying to find out what I am supposed to do with it.
    There are a lot of threads here that tell you exactly what to do. Have you read them? Do you still have questions? If so, start a new thread so we can deal with them.
    sunny07 Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Sep 16, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    There are a lot of threads here that tell you exactly what to do. have you read them? Do you still have questions? If so, start a new thread so we can deal with them.
    Yes. I have read so many of them. How ever I am submitting a new thred for some of the questions I have. Any help is greately appreciated.

Oct 11, 2007, 01:07 PM
    I have rwquested a validation from the attorney's office, they show it was an old discover card acct and that it was sold to first select them credigy recievables, The law company wants another 4,000 added to the sum for court costs. Can I fight to just pay off just what might be owed? I hate to go to court or get an attorney. Any suggestions? Should I write or contact discover for the original amount owed since it is NOT on the credit report? Should I make them prove the amount owed? Thanks again for all your help!!

Oct 12, 2007, 12:45 AM
    Since Discover has sold it, they won't talk to you. You need to get verification of the debt. This will include a copy of the original contract with your signature and a record of transactions to verify the amount.

If they can produce the verification, then you can offer a settlement. But they are unlikely to accept a payement plan so you would probably need to offer a lump sum payment. However, since they paid pennies on the dollar for this debt, if you can offer a lump sum they would probably accept 50-75%.

Oct 12, 2007, 07:56 AM
    So do I write the attorney's office again to get that information? Also do I keep in touch with the clerk's office as to what is going on with getting verification? Thanks so much for your help! Brenda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons served for credit card collection [ 14 Answers ]

My husand was just served a summons last night (4-4-07)for a credit card collection. The company is suing for $5551. But instead of small claims they are suing him in a civil case. This collection was charged off in 2005. So the SOL is not up in our state( california).he received a letter 2-1-07...

Served a judgement for credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was served a judgement this morning for credit card debt for about 4500$. There is no option for a court date to dispute this. I haven't spoken to these people before nor have I received any written letters. I do not believe the debt is mine. Here is my hangup though, I have 30...

Served for Credit Card Debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was served last week from a law firm for an old debt of about $1700. It says if I do not reply within 20 days I will be sent a date to show up in court. What exactly is it that I need to do within this time frame? If I plan to attend my hearing do I just not reply and show up? I dont have an...

How to answer a complaint for a credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

How can I answer a credit card debt that is taking me to court? I am not working now for two years. What can I say in my complaint letter?

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

View more questions Search