Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roniegh Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Social Security Number and 401k for married F2 non-resident
    Hi,

I am on a F2 Visa because of my wife's F1 Visa.
    She is working full time, she is on her OPT (Optional Practical Training) now.
    She already has her Social Security Number and she is contributing for her 401k.
    We are both legal in the US and we are both non-residents.

1) Is it possible for her to start a 401k for me?
    2) Do I need a Social Security Number for that?
    3) As I am on F2, that means not working, and I have to be on a work Visa or OPT to get an Social Security Number, what could we do if the answers for questions number 1 and 2 above are YES?

We really appreciate your time and help, thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Ronie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2007, 07:23 AM
    401Ks are provided by your employer. No oen can open a 401K for you.

Sep 5, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Hi Scott,

And is it possible for her employer to open a 401k for me?
    And deduct the contributions from her paycheck?

Thanks,

Ronie

Sep 5, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Didn't you read what I said? The answer is no! A 401K is provided by an employer for an employee.

Sep 5, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Sorry!

I asked that because I read this...
    If your non-working spouse doesn't have a spousal IRA, you might want to set one up. You can make annual deductible contributions of up to $2,000 into this kind of account, even if you participate in an employer-sponsored retirement plan like a 401(k) (which used to preclude deductible spousal contributions). But watch your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) - this type of deductible IRA contribution is phased out at AGIs between $150,000 and $160,000. (You can calculate your reduction by subtracting $150,000 from your modified AGI and dividing the result by $10,000.)

And also, despite the matching, who pays the 401k is the employee (from his/her paycheck).

Thanks,

Ronie

Sep 5, 2007, 11:17 AM
    An IRA is NOT a 401K, they are different things. Anyone can setup up an IRA, just go to your bank or a brokerage and ask about setting one up. In a spousal IRA, even if non-working the working spouse can make tax deductible contributions to it.

Yes, the employee CONTRIBUTES to the 401K with pretax earnings. That's why its only the employee who can be a participant.

Sep 5, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Thanks Scott, now it is clear.

Regards, Ronie
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
    If you are opening a spousal IRA, you may need to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) using Form W-7.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about social security number [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could answer these simple questions, How much does it cost to get a new id, like for example if you lost your id to get a new one do they charge or.. And If someone loses there social security card, and doesn't know there number by heart, how can they renew and...

1099C Filed under my social security number in error [ 1 Answers ]

I received a notice form the IRS that two 1099C's were filed under my Social Security number for Cancellation of Debt and I now owe the IRS $2000 dollars for not claiming these. I never received the 1099C'S in 2005 and I never held accounts with either of the creditors named on the 1099C forms....

Social Security TAx claim for non-resident individuals in USA [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I worked in USA for a couple of years on L1b visa. Recently I came to know that there is a benefit of claiming the Social Security Tax I paid to the US Govt as I left USA and residing in India. I request somebody can provide me the exact details like how can I claim for the same if...

401k, medicare & social security taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My case is Jan '06 - May '06 = F1 Jun '06 - Sep '06 = OPT Oct '06 - Dec '06 = H1 I conclude that with this status, I need to file as a non-resident. Now I have been contributing to 401k since Aug '06 so filing as a non-resident I can still keep that tax benefit, right? Also, the social...

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search