Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2005, 02:39 PM
    Help with home a/c unit
    I am wondering if any one can help me? Our a/c system dose not cool like it should.I work on automobile a/c systems so I know a little about how a/c systems work.
    I am pretty sure the two systems are basically the same.Right or wrong?
    We just moved into the house about eight months ago and I just noticed that
    The people that lived here before us had installed the wrong size filter so I am pretty sure the evaporator needs cleaning.Is the evaporator set up so it can be cleaned without pulling every thing apart,What I am asking is am I going to have to pull the freon out and pull the evaporator out and clean it and reinstall it and then recharge it.I do not have a vacum pump so I am trying to avoid removing the freon.
    Also the freon charge is low.I have R-12 gauges bud I am wondering about were to get the freon.I am sure grainger has it but do they have it in little amounts instead of having to get a 30lb bottle.
    One more question the condenser fins on the unit outside has some areas where the fins have gotten smashed in and there not going to be able to be
    Straghtend there to smashed.I know that's not to good but will it be that big of a problem.?
    Thanks for any help. Doug
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2005, 03:08 PM
    If you work on automotive systems, you may know more than the others here and I. As far as I know, the systems are very much alike, except autos use R 12, now more R 134a, and home systems, R 19. If by evaporator you mean the ''A'' coil, you can clean the outside of it easily. It is in the last part of the furnace just before the conditioned air duct. It looks like 2 auto radiators leaning against each other.

I have no idea about the Freon. If you have a plumbing or HVAC supply house locally, you might check with them.

The more of the fins that are bent, the less efficiency the unit will work. I have seen little plastic comb like things to straighten them. The home units are larger, so losing a little area to bent fins may not be as bad and an automotive unit.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Sep 13, 2005, 03:29 PM
    [QUOTE=Doug Crf]I am wondering if any one can help me? Our a/c system dose not cool like it should.I work on automobile a/c systems so I know a little about how a/c systems work.
    I am pretty sure the two systems are basically the same.Right or wrong?
    We just moved into the house about eight months ago and I just noticed that
    The people that lived here before us had installed the wrong size filter so I am pretty sure the evaporator needs cleaning.Is the evaporator set up so it can be cleaned without pulling every thing apart,What I am asking is am I going to have to pull the freon out and pull the evaporator out and clean it and reinstall it and then recharge it.I do not have a vacum pump so I am trying to avoid removing the freon.
    Also the freon charge is low.I have R-12 gauges bud I am wondering about were to get the freon.I am sure grainger has it but do they have it in little amounts instead of having to get a 30lb bottle.
    One more question the condenser fins on the unit outside has some areas where the fins have gotten smashed in and there not going to be able to be
    Straghtend there to smashed.I know that's not to good but will it be that big of a problem.?
    Thanks for any help. Doug[/QU
    The unit may work fine with the fin bend... if the it trip out on hi pressure if fully charge... you may have to remove some freon ( or replace the whole condenser unit)... check the name plate again... is it R12 or R22... workinng with/ buying R12/R22 require license... report violator to EPA you may get up to $5000 reward( granger pay epa $10000)
    allen1984 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 05:10 PM
    As long as there isn't too much of the fins are bent over it shouldn't be a problem and if you think your unit is short of gas the smashed fins might be a problem what ever smashed the fins may have but a hole in the pipe and as for the coil you should be able to get at the bottom side of the coil if you pull the very bottom panal off the indoor unit and just use a wire brush to clean it just make sure you brush parallel with the fins cleaning this coil will stop it from icing up. With the evaporator coil iced up it will make the system act as though it is short of gas as well
    Donald K Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Your system probably uses R-22 freon & it requires a license for this unless you want to risk a heft fine. IF you use a wire brush on the fins you are risking damage. You can go to an HVAC supply house, Johnstone, RE Michel, and get a spray can of coil cleaner. This is environmentally friendly and does a good job of cleaning the evaparator coil. Make sure your condensate drain line is open and draining good prior to doing this. You would probably be money ahead to call an HVAC firm & have them check the system for you. They normally charge $59--$99 to check and clean it. IF you are low on freon you may possibly damage the compressor. Unless you know how to charge an HVAC system DON'T DO IT---you can cause more problems which could be very expensive---kind of like me working on my car and then having to take it to the mechanic to correct what I messed up---would have cost me less to take it there in the first place
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

May 15, 2006, 06:45 AM
    A/C units in automobiles are notorious for dried out seals and discharging.

This is caused by not using the A/C for long periods. I would save yourself time and money and get the system re-charged. If it is old, then get a rebuild kit and replace the seals before getting it recharged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox A/C unit won't run [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some pointers. I noticed last week that while the fan on the inside unit was running in my house, the outside Lennox (HL26 I think) was not running at all. I usually don't try to fix this kind of stuff myself, so I called a local HVAC/Electric company to come look at...

Charging Home Unit [ 2 Answers ]

On the gages which I have, are three scales... One in Black PSI), one in Green for R-22, and one in red for R-12 refrigerant. It was suggested that I add refrigerant till the suction side (LP) is about 55-60 PSI and the Head pressure is 150-175 psi. I did this and the unit is 'cooling' however is...

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Using CD-RW discs on a home CD burner unit [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started using CD-RW discs on my home audio CD burner deck. According to the owner's manual, I should be able to finalize discs, then unfinalize them, erase them, re-record and finalize them, and so on and so on, doing so over and over literally hundreds of times with a single disc. ...

View more questions Search