Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juggernauts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Filing Individual Income Tax for non-resident
    Hi,

I am confused as a foreigner (non-resident, no green card, etc.) who has filed W-8BEN form with my bank and brokerage houses. I have SSN because I was studying and working in the US before. In 2003 I left the US for good.

My questions are:
    1. Do I need to file income tax if I have (positive) capital gain from stock trading?
    One tax consultant told me I have to file if I make more than US$11k in that tax year. Another friend of mine who has similar status said it's not necessary.

2. Same as question 1 but this is for my 401k account. Will I be taxed if I withdraw the money after retirement age (assuming I am still a non-resident at that time)?

I greatly appreciate your advice. If possible, please point me to the official documents regarding these issues.

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
    You will need to file a tax return for the capital gains realized from the stcok trading.

Once distributions are made from the 401K, tax returns will need to be filed to declare the income received.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax for NY resident working in NJ [ 2 Answers ]

As a resident of NYC working in NJ for part or all of a tax year, would a person pay income tax to NJ for income earned in NJ, and also file for a credit in regard to NY income tax liability for income that was subject to tax by NJ?

Tax filing for resident & non resident states [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time resident of NC. My employer pays state taxes for MI. My W2 has NC address. Do I need to file tax returns for NC also ? What would be the best solution so that I won't end up paying both state taxes ?

Non Resident Alien filing US tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a non resident alien (arrived 13 Aug 2006) and want to fill my tax return. I am originally from India. Working for a company in St Louis, MO. I am married but my family is in India. They have H4 visa but no ITIN nos. In this case which form should I fill for tax return and what status...

Foreign income+ non-resident -> resident filing [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian National and I have been in US on F1 since Aug 2001. My F1 expired on June 2006 and I was on OPT till my H1 began in Oct 2006. I had filed 1040NR for the past five years but read that after 5 years, I should start filing as a resident. I also read a contradictory statement...

Income tax: Non resident dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert, I have the question about the $ 3300 deduction for the dependent. I got married in December 2006. My wife came to US in 2007. I am using turbo tax to file my income tax returns. It guided me through a set of questions like 1) Was your status...

View more questions Search