Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jardr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 04:47 PM
    New Shed Wire
    Built a new shed want to run a wire to shed to run 2 outlets 2 inside lights and an outside light I want a switch to ouside light in house and also in shed. I am going to use 12/2 wire encased in pcv pipe buried at least a foot in ground. I need to know how to wire this up and also can I pull the hot off the air conditioner outlet box.:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 04:59 PM
    You do understand that the AC box is 240 volts right? You should run a new circuit from your panel or even install a sub panel in the shed for safety.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I don't know how far your shed is from the house , but running 12/2 with ground will not carry enough amps because if you run too much on it ;{ something is going to burn up::" after a100 ft. you start loseing so many amps. Per foot.thats why so many elect. Weed eaters burn up.check with a local electrician.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
    And there is likely no Neutral in the AC box unless you have an AC disconnect with a built-in 120 V GFCI receptical.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
    If you want to turn the shed light on from a switch at the house, you will need to run a separate conductor for the light. That could be done by running a 12-3 from the switch to the shed light. Black always hot, red switched, and white neutral. From the light, you could then run 12-2 to the outlets, yes GFCI, and the switch for the inside light. If the A/C is fed from a 30-40 amp breaker, you can't tie into it with any #12, and likely best not at all. I think you should start at the box with a separate breaker.

If tkrussell adds anything, listen to him. I wouldn't buy any wire until you hear from him.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Using a #12 cable to feed the shed should be fine for a couple of outlets and lights, depending on the length of run. As noted, if the length exceeds 100 feet, the voltage drop may be excessive.

I do not recommend using cable in conduit thou. Either use UF cable directly buried, or use PVC conduit with pulled THWN wires.

You can go 12" deep with cable or conduit, ONLY if you protect the entire circuit with a GFI breaker back at the panel. Other wise cable needs to be 24" deep and PVC conduit needs to be 18" deep.

Connecting to an AC outlet is not recommended. The circuit is dedicated and sized to handle the AC alone.

I personally would use #10-2 UF cable, bury it 12", come directly from the panel, use a 20 amp GFI breaker at the panel, and you will have no problems.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Tkrussell , has some very good points ,but STATE AND LOCAL CODES , do supersede national codes. I also have been a licesend electrician for several years. I don't know your local but { call your locsal power co and talk to a eng. Also ask them aBOUT THE LOCAL CODES. CODES WILL DIFFER FROM ONE CITY TO ANOTHER IN THE SAME STATE
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Fly, have you noticed my signature? I address the issue with local codes with every answer.

And the Read First sticky post at the beginning of this electrical forum?

Laypeople will do and keep doing their own electrical work, something we need to deal with. Think of all the people purchasing materials at the big box hardware stores. Best we can do is provide good accurate safe advice.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Tkrussell- I said that you gave some real good points, but I wanted to bring ouy prettystrong points about the codes I was not cutting you down, no intention.ok I do agree what you wrote back, I hate going in and strighting ouy something a lay person has tried to do ;''
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
    No problem, I took absolutely no offense. Good to point out about local codes that everyone should check where they live.

Wanted to take the opportunity to comment that just merely advising anyone that asks a question here to hire an electrician is most likely going to fall on deaf ears.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, if anyone here should be concerned about doing their own work taking work would be someone like me. This is all I know, I have been making a living at this for over thirty years, and along with the crew that I supervise, we all need work to survive.

I came to the realization that no matter what anyone's says, DIY'ers will continue to do their own work. I felt is was best that I do my little part to get as much done safely and properly as possible. I absolutely am disgusted when someone gets hurt or looses there home because of faulty wiring that could have been prevented.

If everyone that comes to Ask ME Help Desk was told to hire a pro, there would be no need for this forum. Try to see it my way, have fun, answers as many questions as you can giving the best, accurate, and safe advice as you can. Good exercise for the brain box too, some of these questions can be a real challenge.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Sometimes hiring a pro is the best answer. In some cases I say so figuring the word of an adventurous DIY should carry more weight than a pro. If I wouldn't tackle it, most DIY's shouldn't either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wooden shed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large wooden shed by my house we just had a tree cut down I would like to move it to the back of the yard what's the best way to move one of these sheds

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

Wiring a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished building a storage shed and want some electricity out there... what type of wiring and cost would it be to run 30-40 feet or wire?what other materials am I going to need? Thanks for any suggestions... later

View more questions Search