Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Is it possible to fly with a partial collasped lung?
    My Mother suffered a small stroke 10 months ago, she also has an Aortic Aneurism in her stomach. She has also found that she has a partial collapsed lung and wants to fly to Lanzarote early next year. How possible will this be?
    jamesdragon30 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
    With those kinds of health problems, I seriously doubt that she will be allowed to fly, especially with a collapsed lung. The change in pressure can do serious harm in that condition, and most airlines won't allow people to fly due to liability issues.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Probably not. I think it would be very dangerous.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:37 PM
    The Airliner Would Be Pressureized At 8ooo Ft. But If It Were My Mother, I Would Take Her To A Lung Specilest. And Get Him To Say If She Can Fly In A Commercial Airliner. I Hope And Pray That She Getts Better And That She Can Make The Flight:"
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 12:16 AM
    I agree with flying blue angel. The cabin is pressurised but it's still somewhat below sea-level air pressure.

Please consult one of your mother's doctors about this, taking oxygen with her may well be a viable option.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Capuchin,Thanks for ageering with me. But the air pressure will not be close to below sea level :", 8000 ft. above sea level. The aircraft can be at {30000} ft. and cabin pressure will be like you are at 8000 ft. If she went across the rocky mountains, In acar she would be a lot higher pressure wise then would be in the aircraft.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Erm. Yes. So the air pressure at 8000ft is below that at sea level... like I said.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
    HAY Bass, How have you came out with your mothers problem so far??
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Capuchin, I think I know where you are comeing from, about {below sea level} but we are talking about on a given day, temp hum,if were in a low or high pressure area etc. etc. all right we are at 8000 ft. the pressure is 30.8, OK a aircraft flying at 3000 ft. his cabin pressure is adjusted at the same pressure as if you were at 8000 ft. ANY time you go above 11000ft one of flight crew has to go on oxygen,and at15000FT every one has to, {unless, you are in a pressureized aircraft >"""
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Let me just say that this is NOT a problem that you should be getting an answer to via the internet. Your mother's health is at stake here and you do not know the quality of the answers you will be getting.

With that said, I would think that she should see a pulmonologist regarding this and he/she should either clear her or restrict her from flying. If a complication were to arise while she is in the air the crew of the plane would not be certified to handle it, and it would be the luck of the draw to have a doctor or nurse with experience in her particular condition on the plane.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Thanks J_9 YOU said the same thing that I told him , except you phrased it differenty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are lung nodule and what does it mean? [ 14 Answers ]

I am 36 years old and in April of this year they found multiple lung nodules and I have been to the doc several times to have them watched but now that there has been growth my DR won't do a biopsy due to my COPD and Asthma. I did a test to see if I have lost my lung capacity but she said that it...

Stage 4 Lung Cancer [ 3 Answers ]

I am relatively new to this. I am 22 yrs old. My half-sister's father has today been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer that has spread from the lungs to the brain. I am finding it difficult to research the Internet for answers as to what this exactly means. And I am really concerned about my sister who...

Lung disease [ 4 Answers ]

i have an on going lung condition which at times gives me many upper respertory infections.. when the infections come i am rendered helpless.. shortness of breath, trouble expectorating ,night sweats and chills... plus i am very fatiqued.. once i start antibiotics i seem to get stronger but then...

Lung Disease [ 4 Answers ]

I first had a collapsed lung back in l999. About a month ago, I ate lunch consisting of cottage cheese and yogurt and not long thereafter fell asleep. I awoke with severe wheezing and wondered if I would ever be able to catch my breath. I felt as if I were having an asthmatic attack. Can anyone...

View more questions Search