Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I got my Brit on this weekend
    I had ample opportunity to catch up on my movie watching with our long Labor Day weekend here in the US.

I took the kids to see Mr. Bean's Holiday and The Queen arrived from Netflix in the mail so I got to immerse myself in British culture (rather, I should say as reflected in film.)

I have a couple of questions.

Is London in June really that dreary and gray as depicted in Mr. Bean's Holiday?

It was pure coincidence that my order of The Queen arrived on the 10th anniversary of Princess Diana's death and I was wondering if the sentiment was really that strong against the Royal Family at that time or did the film creatively edit to make it seem more dramatic?

Do you believe the Queen Mother was as b_tchy as they portrayed her? The only impression I had of her was sweet old lady but I only saw her on occasion when the Royal Family was in the US news.

Lastly, I can understand why Helen Mirren won the Oscar for best actress because it must have been some undertaking for her to suppress her natural exuberance to take on the persona of Elizabeth II. She may be the richest woman in the world, but I wouldn't switch places with her for even a day.

I would love to hear the impressions of these movies from those of you in the UK.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 11:02 AM
    I am also interested. I don't know enough about the royal family (other than what's in the news) to form a good opinion of "The Queen"
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Mr bean is fictional ;) remember that as for the weather here it varys more than I change my undies, the queen mmmmmmmm I'm no royalist but they are there for a reason id rather have a royal family than a president, and yes she did make dianas life a missery there was more to any of it than anyone will ever know.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I would imagine it being a terribly hard life... torn between everything... there are times I would rather have a royal family than a president that's for sure ;)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I.M.O. and I'm living in Germany.. is that the Royal Family knew about the 'triangle' before the wedding.

I think that politics dictated the need for some distraction and to get some positive media coverage.

They got more than what they bargained for there, though..

The Queen was not amused.

Watching the documentaries on TV, even today, leaves people thinking about a 'master plan' - all depends on which side you hear it from.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 11:12 AM
    The whole royal family is a weird subject to be honest as for the diana fiasco well its just silly and very scary no one will ever know the trueth and its her kids I feel sorry for.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Me too, me too. I wonder how they are different now. Such lovely boys.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Those two boys are wonderful strong young men they are a credit to there mother and father if I'm honest there the best thing about the royal family too.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
    I can't wait to see that movie, he is too funny. LOL I know nothing about Brits except they like chocolate! HAHAHA
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Start its real chocolate too lol not made with oil but cream and lots of bad stuff lol
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Of Course!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I'm with David Icke on the royal family. They are of the Dragon Clan which are 80% reptilian DNA and shape shift into giant , horned lizards that have blood drinking parties while Satan sits on a throne in Windsor castle deflowering virgins. Diana found out about all of it and started telling her close friends so they killed her. Why do you think the queens pet name is Hatchet Face anyway? Really.:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Ooooohhhhhh, Mag...
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 02:20 PM
    What!
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
    I just adore Mr. Bean! He is the funniest!:D
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 4, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Side note, how is the new Mr. Bean movie? I almost saw it Sunday, but we ended up flipping a coin between that and superbad (which is actually pretty entertaining, in an american-pie kind of way, but not stupid, like american-pie was).
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Mr.Bean is different from any comedians that I have seen. He celebrates living. Very rarely do you find a character, this time, hidden in a comedic role that truly appreciates everything around him... whether it is nature, other people, simple technology etc.:)
    I love the movie, again, I can't speak for everyone else.
    How was superbad anyway?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Mr.Bean is different from any comedians that I have seen. He celebrates living. Very rarely do you find a character, this time, hidden in a comedic role that truly appreciates everything around him...whether it is nature, other people, simple technology etc.:)
    I love the movie, again, I can't speak for everyone else.
    How was superbad anyway?
    It was pretty funny, but only because it reminds me of when I was in high school so much. Like I said, it's similar to american pie, but there's actually a lot better storyline and it seems like more planning. A lot of hilarious moments. I'm give it about... a 3.5 out of 5. Maybe even a 4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weekend loving only? [ 37 Answers ]

My husband works usually 9-10 hours a day, but I am missing our during the week love fests. He just doesn't seem interested at all in sex during the week anymore. And sometimes he works Sat. too so that leaves only one day a week sometimes. It really hurts my feelings, because he doesn't act...

My g/f has given me the weekend to prove myself to her! [ 4 Answers ]

Wat do I do, she tells me I have anger problems and I think I do to but when we have a fight whether it's my fault or not I fix it I say I'm sorry and how am I supposed to prove to her if she won't let me do anything for her or kiss her and barely able to touch her. I have known her for 7 years I...

Living for the weekend [ 1 Answers ]

I Want to Buy That A blonde goes into a nearby store and asks a clerk if she can buy the TV in the corner. The clerk looks at her and says that he doesn't serve blondes, so she goes back home and dyes her hair black. The next day she returns to the store and asks the same thing, and again,...

Something for the weekend... [ 3 Answers ]

Eye have a spelling cheque err It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key & type a word And weight for it two say Weather I am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee four two long

Getaway weekend [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum... but. My husband and I are planning a little preholiday retreat (it is a yearly thing) as a gift to each other. We would like to stay somewhere in the New England States (MA, RI, CONN) but are not sure where. This time of year tends to be...

View more questions Search