Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eb brown Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 01:12 PM
    cracked cast iron bell
    cracked cast iron bell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the bell of the cast iorn.
    PROBLEM: I cracked the bell on the cast iron when I took outh the metal. My 4 x 3" bushing didnt fit anyway, even if i wouldnt have cracked the bell.
    i dont know what i need to put in the bell so it wont leak. it is 4" cast iron and I am putting 3 " pvc into the cast so I can run my drain line. Can anyone help me ? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 02:01 PM
    [QUOTE=eb brown]cracked cast iron bell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the bell of the cast iorn.
    PROBLEM: I cracked the bell on the cast iron when I took outh the metal. My 4 x 3" bushing didnt fit anyway, even if i wouldnt have cracked the bell.
    i dont know what i need to put in the bell so it wont leak. it is 4" cast iron and I am putting 3 " pvc into the cast so I can run my drain line. Can anyone help me ? Thanks[/QUOTE

That "metal" was a lead and oakum poured lead joint that you removed. I wish you would have contacted me and I would have walked you through taking the joint out. Did you just crack the hub or is there a piece out of it? What do you mean 4 X 3 bushing. Do you mean a 4 X 3 neoprene doughnut? Because if you didn't trash the bell that's what your going to hafta use. If you did take a chunk out of the bell then I hope you have room to work because the next step will be to cut the bell off and couple a 4" Cast iron to PVC No-Hub band to the cast iron with a 4 X 3 PVC bushing on the other end to convert to 3" PVC. Let me know. Regards, Tom

Sep 10, 2005, 02:14 PM
    yea I broke a big chunk out how do I cut out the beel on the cast iron with a soil piple cutter that I will have to rennt and its expensive like 30 or 40 bucks. Thanks tom sorry I didn't ask first before I took the joint out
    where do I get a 4 x 3 hub to put in after I cut out the bell
    also are you sure it won't leak? The joint is on the upstairs floor and goes right onto my recliner
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eb brown
    yea i broke a big chunk out how do i cut out the beel on the cast iron with a soil piple cutter that i will have to rennt and its expensive like 30 or 40 bucks. thanks tom sorry i didn ask first before i took the joint out
    where do i get a 4 x 3 hub to put in after i cut out the bell
    also are you sure it wont leak? the joint is on the upstairs floor and goes right onto my recliner

To cut soil pipe in a tight place you will need a set of ratchet chain cutters. You will not get another hub. You will attach a 4" Cast iron to PVC No-Hub band to the cast iron with a 4 X 3 PVC bushing on the other end to convert to 3" PVC.

Sep 10, 2005, 02:28 PM
    Where do I get a cast iron to pvc no hub band

Sep 10, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Will pipe seal cloese th no hub band
    What do I seal the no-hub band with so that it is water tight?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eb brown
    what do i seal the no-hub band withh so that it is water tight? Also i have another cast iron bell around an elbow from the bell i broke previously. speed ball can you tell me if i took a chain cutter to the cast iron elbow could i take the joint out on the bell that is still in good shape?. you said you know how to do that can you walk me through the process on how to take out a cast iron joint? you are saving me man thanks
    No-Hub bands can be purchased at any plumbing shop and are self sealing. No sealant is necessary.
    They make a tool for removing lead joints It's called a lead pick. And looks like a slender chisel that's curved with a sharp edge. But you don't need one of those.Take a drill that will fit the space between the pipe and the hub and drill down the where you're through the lead and into the oakum. Now you are under the lead ring and you can began to lever it up and out, working your way around rhe hub until it pulls free, now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart. Have a great Sunday. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

PVC into an Cast Iron opening [ 1 Answers ]

I have old cast iron drain pipes. The bathroom sink has a 2in galvanized pipe that screws into this cast iron pipe. The galvanized pipe is rusting out. Can I replace this galvanized pipe with plastic pipe?

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

Cast Iron Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new cast iron tub to install in an alcove. The tub has feet hidden behind the apron to support the tub. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the easiest way of installation in the alcove?:confused:

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 1 Answers ]

What do I put an old cast iron tub on. Can it sit directly on a new ceramic floor? Would I have to put something under the feet? It will be quite heavy with water in the tub.

View more questions Search