Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Favourite quick dinners
    I'm sure everyone's been there, when you realise you eat the same four meals in rotation all the time.

All my dinners are one of the following, chicken stir frys, breaded fish, thai curry or soup. Sometimes I just give up altogether and have cereal.

I need some inspiration, I know I should buy a cookbook but I never like half of it* so it seems like a waste of money.

*I don't like potatoes, tomato sauces, red meat, pasta or most orange foods. Yes I know I'm weird/over fussy.

So anyway my question is:-
    What are people’s favourite quick easy (healthy) meals? I’d just like some inspiration from real people not some celeb chef who thinks fennel should become the nations staple vegetable.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 4, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Can we assume that you like vegatables and rices?

What types of stir fry recepies do you have now? Could you use a few more?

I will work on this and see what I can come up with.

Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Yay!
    Yeah veg and rice is pretty much what I live on. I have sweet and sour, black bean, lemon and plum chicken most often. I try making them all different but it's getting a bit repetitive and boring. It's funny how you just fall in to a habit and just don't budge! Definitely in need of a different perspective.

Added problem is I'm on a tight budget so no prawns for me :(
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Here is a healthy food that I make that is quick and tasty. I buy a chicken sausage, it has red peppers and is flavored with terryaki/ginger made by a company call alfresco 5 sausages per pack. I pay 4.00 dollars for the pack. I take instant brown rice and cook it. I sauté onions and carrots after the rice is cooked I add the sausage (cut up)and veggies and a little soy or terryaki sauce and let it get hot.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Here's one I like for left over chicken (turkey will work, too)

1 large can of refried beans
    1 small can chopped green chilies
    Leftover chicken (1 to 2 cups)
    Flour tortillas
    Spray oil (Pam, etc.)
    Toppings - lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, cheese and/or sour cream (I use whatever I have on hand)
    Salsa

Heat oven to 400

Warm up first three ingredients on your stovetop or heat up in the microwave.

Spoon warm filling into tortillas and fold. Spray with Pam and bake in oven on a cookie sheet until brown and crispy - 10 to 15 minutes

Top with whatever toppings you prefer.

It's a quick, down and dirty dinner that can be on the table in 20 minutes.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Steamed veggies, fried chicken(dip chicken in egg white and then dip in bread crumbs then fry),steamed rice(or no rice).
    -------------------------
    Onions and garlic,leeks
    Any herbs you like
    Veggies of your choice
    Soya sauce
    Red or green bell peppers
    Sausages

Chop all as you like them
    Fry the onions+garlic in oil
    Add peppers
    Add veggies,sausages
    Salt to taste, soya sauce
    Cover and simmer(while stirring now and then) for 10-20 minutes

You can eat this with Indian bread,normal bread or rice.
    ---------------------------
    If you like a change in taste try canned tuna instead of chicken with all your rice dishes.

If you could fry chopped onions and garlic
    Add herbs of your choice
    And add the tuna
    Add a sauce of your choice.

It tastes good in sandwiches and with rice too.
    ---------------

16 Great, Healthy Dinners in 10-minutes or Less | zen habits
    Try this link too... some interesting easy recipes.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Sweet and sour ham steaks
    Prep time 10 minutes
    Cook time 10 minutes

2/3 cup orange marmalade
    1/2 cup apricot preserves
    2tbs fresh grated lime peel (about 2 limes)
    2tsp ginger
    2Tbs lime juice
    Half a jalapeño diced up

I get the pre-packaged Honey Ham steaks from the store (2 in a pack) about 1/4 inch thick... I grill these on the grill until hot, and use the above mixed sauce to brush on as I grill. Leave a little extra to glaze on when you serve. I also grill some orange slices to go along with this. We normally make green beans as a veggie. I typically make 4 steaks for us (2 adults, 1 child).
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Broccoli Rice casserole

1 cup cooked rice
    1 package frozen chopped broccoli
    1 can cream of mushroom (98% fat free or regular) OR 1 can cheddar cheese soup
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 small can french fried onions

Add frozen broccoli and soup in casserole dish and heat in microwave
    For approximately 5 minutes or until hot.
    Meanwhile cook rice.
    Add cooked rice to the casserole dish, mix well, then flatten the top surface with the back of the spoon.
    Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and place back inside the microwave until cheese is melted.
    Sprinkle french fried onions on top of melted cheese and place in the oven under a low heat broiler for approximately 1 minute (just long enough to crisp the fried onions)

Bite size pieces of cooked chicken can also be added to the mixture if you like.

Yum:D
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Wow these are all great suggestions! I'm going to give them all a try :)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Chicken in a bag... remember this is just a guide you can add or take away anything else but it all goes in the bag.

Two large chicken breasts
    2 carrots
    1 onion and 1-2 garlic cloves
    Mushrooms
    Potatoes for two

Lightly butter two large sqaures of foil, place a chicken breast in the middle of each and then take a side of foil and lift it up and bring the opposite side up two now very tightly scrunch the sides so you make a foil bag.
    Add your sliced vegies to the bag and then cover with either your choice of stock or wine but only put enough liquid in to just come up to the top of the chicken.

If you have sealed and scrunched well enough the liquid will not escape now scrunch the top till you have a ba of food place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 45-60 minnutes on 165c.

Now when its cooked the liquid will have disappeared and you will have a meal in a bag for a creamy sauce open the top and place a spoon full of crème fresh and serve...
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 08:31 AM
    alkalineangel agrees: oooh this sounds delicious.
    firmbeliever agrees: I must try out this recipe... it sounds soooo yum

You two crack me up it's a great thing to prep the night before and stick it in the fridge then when you come home from work just add the liquid and bake.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
    I forgot to say earlier, templelane, there is a great website at allrecipes.com

You can put in the ingredients you like or have on hand and it will search its database for matching recipes. You can also tell it to exclude ingredients.

I agree it is a waste of money to buy a cookbook now since the internet is such a better resource for no extra cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are our favourite numbers? [ 13 Answers ]

What are the favourite numbers between 1 and 100 of people in the western world? And what are our least favourite numbers? Is there any evidence or suggestion that favourite and least favourite numbers vary by region or culture?

Favourite sandwich? [ 39 Answers ]

Im hungry and I'm stuck on what to have, What is your favourite sandwich? What sort of bread do you prefer? Do you use spread, butter or mayo? Any favourite sauces you just have to have?? Go on give me some ideas I'm famished :D

My favourite song [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I been searching for the name of the song featured on channel 4 adverts. It goes a little like this. Te th te th te th te th te th te th te th te th... la la laa la laaa la laaa la la... it has a catchy tune I though it was richard ashcroft taken from an old classic - but its not listed on...

Holiday dinners [ 8 Answers ]

I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year. The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to...

View more questions Search