Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runaway Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Itemized deductions on J-1 visa
    I participated as a student exchange visitor in Work&Travel Program.
    I was on a J-1 visa during 2004.
    I am not a student working on a degree.
    My taxable income consist only W-2 forms. All of the income which I had generated is from personal services?

Can I deduct travel expences "away from home" on form 1040NR?
    I thing I can use IRS Section 162 and Publication 519 for my case.
    Is that right?
    Any answer will be appreciated. :confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 12, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Runaway:

You can claim your travel expenses "away from home" as an itemized deduction, but only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Example: Your income is $10,000. You have total travel expenses "away from home" of $550. Two percent of $10,000 is $200, so your itemized deduction is $550 - $200 = $350.

You will need to use the special Schedule A that comes with the Form 1040NR plus Form 2106 to properly document your deductions.

Sep 12, 2005, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Runaway:

You can claim your travel expenses "away from home" as an itemized deduction, but only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Example: Your income is $10,000. You have total travel expenses "away from home" of $550. Two percent of $10,000 is $200, so your itemized deduction is $550 - $200 = $350.

You will need to use the special Schedule A that comes with the Form 1040NR plus Form 2106 to properly document your deductions.
    Thank you for your quick Respond.
    I heard many different opinions about this tax issue.
    Some of my friends told me that I am NOT ALLOWED to take these expences because this is WORK& TRAVEL PROGRAM.
    Actually I came form Europe on J-1 visa just for 4 mouths to work and visit USA.
    Is there any special Publication or rule which I can use in this case?
    I know only about Publication 519 which allow me to deduct airfare,lodging and 50% of meals expences.Is that right?
    Can I deduct also and my Program fee (fees for the Work&Travel progam I paid in Europe)?
    Thank you for your time. :)
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 14, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Runaway:

If the work expenses are valid expenses for which you are not reimbursed, then, as a rule of thumb, they are deductible as noted earlier. That includes the program fee. These expenses are incurred while earning an income.

Sep 18, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Urgent... Help please!!
    Runaway:

If the work expenses are valid expenses for which you are not reimbursed, then, as a rule of thumb, they are deductible as noted earlier. That includes the program fee. These expenses are incurred while earning an income.
    Hi Atlanta Tax expert,
    I have a big problem.
    I received a letter CP 11 from IRS which says that they adjusted my refund amount and now I am tax DUE for the amount of 210$.( 110$ taxes + 100$ penalty for late filing return)
    I filed form 1040NR and itemized deductions for travel “away from home” on form 2106EZ.
    IRS reason to disallows my deductions is :

“We did not find connection between your expenditure and your occupation in the USA.
    The deductions you took are not necessary and ordinary expenses for the conduct of a trade or business in the US.”

Can you help me please?
    I have only 21 days to respond to this letter.
    I read Publication 519 and Revenue rule 73-578 and I thing IRS are wrong about my case.

According to Publication 519,
    "all students who are temporary present in the United States as non immigrant on “J” status are considered engaged in a trade or business in the USA"

According to Rev.rule 73-578 :
    A citizen of a foreign country, who comes to the U.S. under a six-month visa to work for a U.S. employer with the intention of resuming his regular employment in his native land after this period, is a nonresident alien whose "tax home" remains in his native country and may deduct necessary traveling expenses including meals and lodging under section 162(a) of the Code”hat they

How to protect myself?
    What to do now? :(
    The letter sayd that if I don't pay in this 21 days IRS will impose more Penalties against me

Any help will be appreciated
    Thank you :confused:
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Runaway:

The citations you use below are excellent.

Draft a rebuttal letter to the IRS and request a review of your case. Use these same citations (especially the Rev.rule 73-578) as justification for claiming the travel expenses. The auditor may not have been aware of the cited ruling.

Also, ask under a separate paragraph that the IRS waive the $100 late filing penalty. Cite your unfamiliarity with the U.S. tax codes and deadline and the need to properly research your tax options. Further, state that you will file on time henceforth. If you are not a repeat offender, the IRS will normally waive late filing fees if you can provide a good reason for filing late.

Mail your reply certified mail return receipt to the address provided on the letter. That provides proof that you have responded expeditiously.

You may still owe the $110 in taxes, but at least you should be able to avoid the late fee.

Sep 22, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Thanks!
    Runaway:

The citations you use below are excellent.

Draft a rebuttal letter to the IRS and request a review of your case. Use these same citations (especially the Rev.rule 73-578) as justification for claiming the travel expenses. The auditor may not have been aware of the cited ruling.

Also, ask under a separate paragraph that the IRS waive the $100 late filing penalty. Cite your unfamiliarity with the U.S. tax codes and deadline and the need to properly research your tax options. Further, state that you will file on time henceforth. If you are not a repeat offender, the IRS will normally waive late filing fees if you can provide a good reason for filing late.

Mail your reply certified mail return receipt to the address provided on the letter. That provides proof that you have responded expeditiously.

You may still owe the $110 in taxes, but at least you should be able to avoid the late fee.

Thank you for you response.
    I send a letter to IRS yesterday which describing my case.
    Do I have to call them or to visit their nearest office to check personally what is going on?
    I did not mention anything in my letter about my penalties, may be this is a mistake.
    What do you think? :confused:
    Do I have any chance to protect myself and get my money back?
    I read this Revenue Rule 73-578, one more time and I think I am right.
    Correct me if I misunderstood something about my case?

Good luck.
    Thanks for your help again. :)
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 23, 2005, 05:35 AM
    Runaway:

Assuming you made a copy of everything before you mailed it, call them on Wednesday to confirm they got the letter. If not, call back on Friday, then Monday. If they do not have your rebuttal letter by Monday, 3 October 2005, you may have to mail it a second time.

Other than that, all you can do it wait for a decision.

Nov 2, 2005, 08:26 PM
    Runaway:

Assuming you made a copy of everything before you mailed it, call them on Wednesday to confirm they got the letter. If not, call back on Friday, then Monday. If they do not have your rebuttal letter by Monday, 3 October 2005, you may have to mail it a second time.

Other than that, all you can do it wait for a decision.

Hi Atlanta tax expert,

Two days ago I've spoke to IRS representative and they told me that my request was DENIED. They did NOT tell me any reason. Actually I thing that the IRS representative was very route with me like I am waisting her time.
    They told me that now I own them $340. :(
    How this is possible?
    I own them $210 and after a month is $340.

They did not even answer on my LETTER.
    I have to call them few times to get any answer on my request.

How to proceed from now on?
    They DID NOT send me any notice or paper where it says that I own $340.
    I get this info over the phone from the IRS representative.

Something else:
    I filed my VA state return before I knew than IRS dissallowed my deductions.
    I send them a copy(Va tax state autorities) of my FEDERAL RETURN and they never get back to me.

How can I amend my VA state return ( from 763) ?
    Do I have to file a new return with no itemized deduction?

I am asking all these questions because I am leaving USA soon. I am going back to Europe very soon.

I want to autorize my cousin to represent my before IRS .
    I know that he will need singed Form 2848 from me.
    Where he need to send this form? What to write in this form?

Thank you very much for your help.
    You are doing a great job with your advices here in this forum.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2005, 01:50 PM
    Runaway:

You may need to call the Taxpayer Advocate to look into your case. An additional $130 penalty for not paying while you are appealing the decision is rather unreasonable.

When you call the Taxpayer Advocate's Office, have a copy of all the paperwork you submitted to the IRS available to fax to them so that they can use it to investigate your case. Be sure to include the mail return receipt you should have gotten back that shows you mailed the appeal within the time limit specified on the original IRS letter.

As for Virginia, you can wait until the IRS situation is resolved before you amend the Virginia return. Virginia will eventually get around to contacting you about any additional tax that results from this IRS adjustment, but that may take years.

Follow the instructions on how to fill out the Form 2848. If you trust your cousin, you can authorize him to negotiate in your stead with the IRS. Otherwise, you can deal with the IRS representative at one of the local US consulates located in most European cities.

Nov 13, 2005, 04:53 PM
    How to amend form 763 VA?
    Runaway:

As for Virginia, you can wait until the IRS situation is resolved before you amend the Virginia return. Virginia will eventually get around to contacting you about any additional tax that results from this IRS adjustment, but that may take years.

Follow the instructions on how to fill out the Form 2848. If you trust your cousin, you can authorize him to negotiate in your stead with the IRS. Otherwise, you can deal with the IRS representative at one of the local US consulates located in most European cities.
    The problem is that VA state own me money. Because IRS disallowed my deduction I must amend my State return as well, right?
    I made only 7K, so they should send me Full refund anyway. Right?
    But how to amend the Form 763?
    Just to mark that this is amend return in the upper LEFT CORNER and sent it to them again?? I have to send it WITHOUT any tax deductions this time.

You are great,
    Keep doing the same cool job.
    Thank you :o
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 14, 2005, 06:23 AM
    Runaway:

I doubt very much that Virginia has also disallowed the deductions as well. That being the case, you should get your refund from the originally-filed VA state tax return.

If so, you should wait until you get the problem with the IRS resolved. If the IRS reinstates the deductions, then you need do nothing for VA. If the IRS decides against you, then (and only then) do you amend the return for Virginia.

Yes, I do believe that you mark the VA Form 763 with the word "AMENDMENT" on the top and resubmit it, this time with a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itemized tax deductions in OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My status for 2005 was: Jan 2005 - Sep 2005 = OPT (F-1 status) Oct 2005 - Dec 2005 = H1B Now my question is: 1) Is there any itemized deductions I can put for my OPT period? Like - books, donations(made in India), travel, rent, food, etc. And if "NOT" then is there any other...

Dependents itemized deductions [ 3 Answers ]

I did not make enough to pay my mortgage and Texas including other bill. All were paid by my brother living with me. Can he itemize my deductions in his return if I am claimed as a dependent on his tax return?

Itemized deduction for OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Restating few things again that I am a Indian nationality working in client place for a consulting firm, my status was CPT/OPT in 2005 & currently in from Jan 2006 status is H1. I moved from upstate New York -the city where I did my Masters , to Saint Paul, Minnesota - the place I am...

F1-H1-Itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry if these questions are very naïve. I came here on a F-1 visa in Aug'01 and am originally from india. Last year I was working on an OPT till Sept 30th and started working on a H-1 from Oct 1st. 1)Which form do I use: 1040-NR or 1040 NR-EZ or something else? 2)Will I still be able to...

H1 B Visa Deductions ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am on H1 B for the year 2004. I came to US in October 2004 - December 2004 to work on H1 B Visa In 2003 I was on F1 Visa and studies in the US till June-2003 - graduated and went back to Middle East to work I was on F1 Visa for the year 2002 (studying Bachelors) I was on F1 Visa for...

View more questions Search