Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igfan123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Floor drain conversion to sink drain
    I have a 4" floor drain in a concrete slab. What's the easiest way to convert it for use as a sink drain? Does the sink need a trap since the floor drain has one? Thanks, Matt
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Before you consider doing this connect you need to confirm that the 4" drain actually goes out to your sewer and not a sump pump. Are you on city sewer or septic?
    igfan123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Hi... I'm on a city sewer system and I have verified the drain connects to the sewer system. Thanks!
    XLmasterplumber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
    There is no way to convert it to a sink drain it is a floor drain and that is all. If you want a laundry or sink drain you have to run a new drain from below grade or from a adjacent stack assuming it is sized properly. In both cases a separate vent is required.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
    XLMP makes a very good point, (Welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.) There's only one way you can do this without tearing up the slab and wall for the plumbing and run a vent out the roof and that is if you install the sink directly over the floor drain and use it as a indirect waste. And even then I don't know if it will pass code. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outgoing Drain Behind Vanity Cabinet Not Aligned with Sink Drain Tube in New Sinktop [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new vanity cabinet and new marble vanity top, both slightly larger than the originals. The problem we've encountered is that the drainage pipe that will exit sink water from the sink to the house -- the PVC pipe in the house/wall -- is not aligned with the new location of the sink...

Floor drain conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings: First time on the site. Like what I see so far. Here is the scenario, I am installing a bathroom in a basement with 7' ceilings. I'm NOT having any problem with the toilet installation because I am using a macerator toilet. The problem is installing the three piece show unit. The...

New kitchen sink.drain in floor not wall [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All- Just put in new cabs & countertops. The kitchen sink (double bowl) drain and supply lines come directly up through the floor. I have a disposal and dishwasher to connect too. What should my drain look like since a traditional p-trap appears out of the question? I don't have/want a hole...

2nd floor sink drain slow... all others fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, So my wife and I bought this house several months ago. Initially the 2nd floor tub and sink drained slowly. I drainoed the and plunged the tub - problem solved, but the sink is stubborn. I've used a lot of draino and tried to plunge and snake it, sometimes it will help a little for a...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search